Enzyme Function Lab: Write up

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

celticboy1
Garter
Garter

Enzyme Function Lab: Write up

Post by celticboy1 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:26 am

I am in a honors highschool Living envrioment(biology). I need to conduct a lab write up for my Enzyme Function lab. The purpose of this is lab is as follows
To explore the role of a catalase, and some factors that may affect it, as it breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen.

During the experiments we placed 2ml of hydrogen peroxide in a test tube and first added manganese dioxide and connected the pressure sensor to measure the rate of chemical reaction. Then we added such food as spinach potato raw, and cooked liver to 2ml of hydrogen peroxide and measure the rate of chemical reaction. So far I have written the problem for the lab write up but am not sure if it is correct. The problem was as I wrote:
Problem: With the addition of catalse and an inorganic catalyst, will the rate of chemical reactions in hydrogen peroxide increase or decrease as it breaks down into water and oxygen?

I really need help with this so please anyone that can help it will be very appreciated. Thank you

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:38 am

It seems to me you're measuring which food item contains the most catalase is it not?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

celticboy1
Garter
Garter

Post by celticboy1 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:43 am

that does seem right, but if the mangense dioxide is acting as an organic catalsyt does that mean it is also breaking the hydrogen peroxide down into water and oxygen

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:17 am

celticboy1 wrote:that does seem right, but if the mangense dioxide is acting as an organic catalsyt does that mean it is also breaking the hydrogen peroxide down into water and oxygen

no it fastens the reaction catalysed by the enzyme. If it wasn't present, the enzymatic reaction occurs much slower.