Last person to reply wins.

Discuss topics related to other sciences, post news that you feel our community needs to hear about. Any interesting discussions about pretty much anything are also welcome.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Re: Last person to reply wins.

Post by mcar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 am

That break is too long.
What are the best or unique things in Miami?

Usually in our place, we bring something unique from the places we have been and give them to our friends or loved ones, we call it pasalubong. Every pasalubong from any place here is certainly unique or it actually gives extra credit for the place to be remembered. To name a few, there's the famous cashew nuts in Antipolo, "barako" coffee from Batangas, durian fruits from Davao, patupat rice cakes from Pangasinan and the smoked sausages from Vigan, Ilocos Sur. Any unique pasalubong in Miami?
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:40 am

Miami has its charms, but to me it's a microcosm of capitalism, and overall I'm glad to be out of that city. What really irritates me is the pointless extravegance which Miami seems to thrive on. I saw a t-shirt that sold for $170! Sort of makes you wonder, if we have this much money to throw down the toilet, why is there still poverty in the world?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

David George
Coral
Coral

Post by David George » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:41 am

T-shirt for $170!!!!!
the answer to your question is simple.Its cos we want to spend all our money on us.Yes yes there are charities around the world,but the majority are greedy like me......
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
-Theodosius Dobzhansky

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:23 pm

*Wins.*

Edit: What happened to my sig! :x

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re:

Post by alextemplet » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:10 pm

David George wrote:T-shirt for $170!!!!!
the answer to your question is simple.Its cos we want to spend all our money on us.Yes yes there are charities around the world,but the majority are greedy like me......

Exactly. People would rather fatten their own wallets and allow the poor to starve to death under an overpass. It's that sort of evil that is the cause for most, if not all, of the problems in the world, if there is any one thing I would love to stop, it's greed.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Post by mcar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 am

That's equivalent to about 7650 pesos. Too much expensive for just a T-shirt here. I have a lot of things to buy with that amount already. There's CARITAS MANILA in our country which is is the lead Catholic agency for social services and development in the Archdiocese of Manila and a lead provider of technical assistance to social service and development ministries in the five other Metro Manila dioceses. This group had launched a project last Christmas called Segunda Mana. You donate anything in kind, old or new as long as it's still useful. These things can be sold for very reasonable prices. The profit goes to the different programs of Caritas that cater to the poor.
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---

David George
Coral
Coral

Post by David George » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:33 am

Its hard to be good.........
My professors ask me to do some basic work on antibodies or something helping humanity.But i just want to do the best sequence alignment for getting evolutionary trees.[I really am not the "charity or good guy"]
But today my professor forced me into a group that is isolating phycocyanin.Thankfully its easy.
-Theodosius Dobzhansky

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm

This is poo! I have to stay at work for over 2 hours until the coach arrives to take us to the very late Xmas party. I can't go home as it's a 45 mins walk there and back. All the good sites are blocked here, this is the only forum I'm registered at I can use at work...I suppose 2 hours of reading about the brain it is... :?

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:43 pm

I can't wait for school to start again on the 20th.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I miss studying so much. I'm thinking of taking an evening cosmology unit at the university of Cambridge. But it's expensive, I'll have to use public transport and take a taxi from the train station to home as there's no bus and I'm worried it might take up too much of my time as my job is quite demanding.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Cosmology! How awesome. The temptation has crossed my mind to change my major to astrophysics.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

David George
Coral
Coral

Post by David George » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:00 am

AstroPhysics is nice.......
But i better stay with bio tech.It suits me better since i can play with bio informatics and microbes..
-Theodosius Dobzhansky