A question about thalassemia

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

opuntia
King Cobra
King Cobra

A question about thalassemia

Post by opuntia » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:35 pm

What would happen if an alpha thalassemia carrier and a beta thalassemia carrier have a child? Will the child be able to produce the haemoglobin efficiently or will the child have a deficit in the production of haemoglobin?

Can anyone discuss anything related to it?
Thanks in advance,
Opuntia.
"The roots of education is bitter, but the fruit is sweet" Aristotle

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:37 pm

it could be, since the parents are carriers, there is a chance of a healthy child according to genetics. rwcall, that alpha and beta thalssemia are different mutations on different chromosomes.

opuntia
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by opuntia » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:27 am

Thanks for the help, sdekivit :D

Well, i know that a cross between two α-thalassemia carriers would have have 25% chance of producing a normal child, 25% of producing an α-thalassemia major child and 50% of producing α-thalassemia carrier child. And also a cross between two β-thalassemia carriers would have 25% chance of producing a normal child, 25% of producing an β-thalassemia major child and 50% of producing β-thalassemia carrier child.
But if a cross between an α-thalassemia carrier and a β-thalassemia carrier, i know that they have 25% of producing an α-thalassemia carrier, 25% of producing a β-thalassemia carrier, 25% of producing a normal child, and now comes my actual question, but what about the remaining 25%?

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:18 am

opuntia wrote:Thanks for the help, sdekivit :D

Well, i know that a cross between two α-thalassemia carriers would have have 25% chance of producing a normal child, 25% of producing an α-thalassemia major child and 50% of producing α-thalassemia carrier child. And also a cross between two β-thalassemia carriers would have 25% chance of producing a normal child, 25% of producing an β-thalassemia major child and 50% of producing β-thalassemia carrier child.
But if a cross between an α-thalassemia carrier and a β-thalassemia carrier, i know that they have 25% of producing an α-thalassemia carrier, 25% of producing a β-thalassemia carrier, 25% of producing a normal child, and now comes my actual question, but what about the remaining 25%?

use the rules for the dihybrid cross-breeding. The mutations occur at different alleles on different chromosomes, so they are uncoupled.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:51 am

Um, do you know how to detect someone become thallasemia carrier or not from the crossing table?? Both of my parents are thallasemia carrier and my younger sister gets major alpha-thallasemia....but, I wonder what about me? a carrier or normal???
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

opuntia
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by opuntia » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:47 pm

victor wrote:Um, do you know how to detect someone become thallasemia carrier or not from the crossing table?? Both of my parents are thallasemia carrier and my younger sister gets major alpha-thallasemia....but, I wonder what about me? a carrier or normal???

Do you mean the genetic diagram?
well, i won't say that the diagram always is 100% efficient :twisted:
To make sure if you are a carrier or not, you can test for thalassemia...i did it a few days ago. 8) You can either be a carrier or normal (not both :lol: )

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:33 pm

But I think for now, it's not a necessary yet.....just wait till I want to get married....hahaha
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.