What are Sheathed Bacteria?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Winogradsky
Garter
Garter

What are Sheathed Bacteria?

Post by Winogradsky » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:55 pm

Hello,
I´m new here, I write an Essay for the school about the Experiment "Winogradsky Collumn", an Ihave tired the Experiment by myself.
At the moment iam writing the theory. In a Winogradsky Collumn there occour several microgoranismns, different aerobic an anaerobic Bacteria and some algae.
My souces are mentioning "sheathed Bacteria". They should occour in the Water above the mud and "use organic substrates but are unusual because as the bacterial cells divide they synthesize a rigid tubular sheath from which individual cells can escape and swim away to establish new colonies. Many empty sheaths are seen in older colonies. They are made of a complex mixture of protein, polysaccharide and lipid, and are thought to protect the cells from predation by protozoa. The sheaths also can be encrusted with ferric hydroxide, giving a yellow or rusty appearance to the colonies."

Thats what my souces say - don´t think I`m that intelligent.. :D

Do you know where I could get more information about this kind of bacteria, especially about the chemicals they need for life and about the chemicals they give to their outside?

Thx for your Help! :)
Winogradsky