cell division

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

helena
Garter
Garter

cell division

Post by helena » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:36 am

anyone......pls tell me about this process and how does it occurs... :(

Jessieh04
Garter
Garter

Post by Jessieh04 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:27 am

cell divisino is the formation of two or more daughter cells from a single mother cell.

in prokaryotes (becasue they are not as complex) they go through binarry fission. They only have one DNA molecule, so what happens is that DNA molecule is replicated (copied), then cell walls form around each of the DNA molecules and you get two identical cells.

in eukaryotes, cell division is more complex becasue there are more chromosomes and organelles. There is a process called mitosis, which you can divide into 4 stages really:

1 Prophase: The chromatin, diffuse in interphase, condenses into chromosomes. Each chromosome has duplicated and now consists of two sister chromatids. At the end of prophase, the nuclear envelope breaks down into vesicles.

2 Metaphase: The chromosomes align at the equitorial plate and are held in place by microtubules attached to the mitotic spindle and to part of the centromere.

3 Anaphase: The centromeres divide. Sister chromatids separate and move toward the corresponding poles.

4 Telophase: Daughter chromosomes arrive at the poles and the microtubules disappear. The condensed chromatin expands and the nuclear envelope reappears. The cytoplasm divides, the cell membrane pinches inward ultimately producing two daughter cells (phase: Cytokinesis).

Nothing lasts forever...so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, take chances & never have regrets because at one point what you did was what you wanted.

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:42 am

And make a google search. It will help you understand better. Also you can use this site.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:48 am

is this enough or do you need to know it on molecular level too ?