Plant differences, wind pollination, etc.

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

za105
Garter
Garter

Plant differences, wind pollination, etc.

Post by za105 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:59 am

I have a couple of biology questions I need help answering. I'm supposed to be on Christmas break but I didn't get a couple projects turned in, so I have to do them now during my break and I can't find the right answers in either my textbook or syllabus. Help would be extremely appreciated!

Here's the first question I'm having trouble with:
Within the plant kingdom, there are many different groups of plants. These major groups are distinguished from one another by certain characteristics. List six such characteristics and their alternatives and give an example of an organism with each characteristic you have listed.

I can only think of four separating characteristics...
vascular, non-vascular
angiosperms, gymnosperms
monocots, dicots
autotrophs, heterotrophs

What are the other two?

Second question group:
Of the seven economically important families of angiosperms listed in your textbook (liliaceae, poaceae, lamiaceae, rosaceae, fabaceae, asteraceae, and brassicaceae):

Which two families produce edible fruit? - I only know for sure one, rosaceae, despite my searches through my school resources and a Google search.

The members of which family are wind pollinated? - I believe poaceae, but I'm not sure.

Which families produce their flower parts in multiples of 4s or 5s? - I'm completely clueless as to what the answer of this question might even look like.

Those are all the questions I'm not sure about for this project I'm working on. Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

AnnaKaye689
Garter
Garter

I've got answers and questions, can you help?

Post by AnnaKaye689 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:33 pm

On a random "Ask" search I found your post and am very glad I did. I think can help you some.

For "Within the plant kingdom, there are many different groups of plants. These major groups are distinguished from one another by certain characteristics. List six such characteristics and their alternatives and give an example of an organism with each characteristic you have listed. "

I took a stretch and put seeds vs seedless, parallel veins vs. netlike veins, and long day vs short day. (otherwise I got relatively the same answer)

for Of the seven economically important families of angiosperms listed in your textbook (liliaceae, poaceae, lamiaceae, rosaceae, fabaceae, asteraceae, and brassicaceae):

Which two families produce edible frit? I think Roasacea and Fabaceae
The members of which family are wind pollinated? Asteracea, and poaceae
which families produce their flower parts in multiples of 4s or 5s? the fours and fives means it is a dicot, but i'm still not sure on which family this would be.
Which families are monocots? Lilaceae and poaceae.

I am wondering about how far you are on this coarse as a whole because I am in the middle (about self check test 6) as a self study. If you would be willing to assist me (and then I can assist some friends) I would be much abliged.

Thanks,
Anna

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:22 pm

Here are the floral formulas for your families. you can see from there what type(3,4 or 5) each family has. You're welcome :wink:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 pm

List six such characteristics and their alternatives and give an example of an organism with each characteristic you have listed.

some other examples:
higher plants vs lower plants
cryptogams vs phanerogams (Spermatophytes)
homosporous vs heterosporous
unicellular vs multicellular

Which two families produce edible fruit?

As for me there are three: Asteraceae (for example sunflower Helianthus annuus), Rosaceae and Poaceae.

If you need floral formulae for flowering plants just send me a personal message
[/url]