virus evolution

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

virus evolution

Post by alextemplet » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:55 am

I once read about an hypothesis on how viruses might first have evolved. It said that viruses might have evolved from small unicellular organisms that were parasites who prayed on other, larger unicellular organisms. Once they had perfected life inside other cells, they eventually lost most of their organelles, relying instead on their hosts to keep them alive.

Viruses have always confused me, as I'm sure they have others, since they're exactly on the borderline between life and non-life. The above hypothesis is the most reasonable explanation I've ever heard for how they came into being. Perhaps anyone can provide additional information on this perplexing issue?

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: virus evolution

Post by victor » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:00 pm

alextemplet wrote:I once read about an hypothesis on how viruses might first have evolved. It said that viruses might have evolved from small unicellular organisms that were parasites who prayed on other, larger unicellular organisms. Once they had perfected life inside other cells, they eventually lost most of their organelles, relying instead on their hosts to keep them alive.

it sounds mere like endosymbiotic theory to me, only changing 1 word into "parasites".
What I've read, there're 2 hypothesis about the existance of virus. IMMSMR, one of the hypothesis states that virus come altogether with primitive unicellular organism..not have evolved from non-virus become virus...
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:42 pm

Yes, that makes sense, and perhaps I had some of my details wrong. I still think viruses are amazing. Their structure is so primitive, but they're so highly adapted to life inside other cells. Sounds like something Stephen King would've written about, except it's real. Freaky.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:18 pm

Virus evolution:
1. they come up altogether with procaryotes and divers itself.
2. They are probably come from procaryotes' DNA which lack in this-and-that but it still can live because of some functional gene. the result is, virus become an obligate parasitic intracellular.

That's what I've read from JMA Med.MicBio.
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.