Onion DNA

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kickaroo
Garter
Garter

Onion DNA

Post by kickaroo » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:10 am

I did a lab that isolated the DNA of an onion, and then measured its weight. However, for my lab report, I need to formulate a quantitative hypothesis and support that hypothesis with previous research. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone knew of any research regarding the amount of DNA in onions, specifically yellow/red onions. I have tried googling the amount of DNA in onions, however, all that turned up was lab procedures.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:05 pm

you must state an hypothesis --> this doesn't have to be right. That's why you examine the hypothesis with an experiment.

--> an example of an hypothesis: i expect that the amount of DNA in an onion will be less then in humans.

This can be tested with an experiment. Note: in an hypothesis you don't give an explanation for your guess.

Jessieh04
Garter
Garter

Post by Jessieh04 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:21 pm

I ran across an article from a harvard publication which may shed light on the topic a bit.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/200 ... onion.html

This is the citation to the article they reference by Dmitri Petrov:

Evidence for DNA Loss as a Determinant of Genome Size, Dmitri A. Petrov, Todd A. Sangster, J. Spencer Johnston, Daniel L. Hartl, Kerry L. Shaw , Science, Vol. 287, Number 5455 Issue of 11 Feb 2000, pp. 1060 - 1062

hope it can help you in some way:)