Embryonic Stem cells

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

fran008
Garter
Garter

Embryonic Stem cells

Post by fran008 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:54 pm

I was reading an article and it said :" within six days, these ES cells would have received signals instructing them how to differentiate."

What is the nature of the "Signals" referred to in the above quote?

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:00 pm

it's reffered to the activation of biochemistry pathwys that tells the ESC to differentiate coded by our genetic materil things..it's so complex..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Where do stem cells come from?

Post by alextemplet » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:04 am

The media, and anti-stem cell activists, claim that stem cells are taken from aborted fetuses. However, my college bio professor told us that they actually come from embryos left over from in vitro fertilizations. He explained that, for every in vitro fertilization done, plenty of embryos are made but only one is injected into the mother, and the left overs are then used for stem cells. If that is true, then abortion and stem cells have nothing in common, and the biggest objection to stem cell research (that it promotes abortion) is thereby rendered irrelevant.

Which explanation is true, the media or the professor? Where do stem cells come from?

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:50 pm

The point is that : a human egg and a human sperm is used. No matter where, it is human. (This is the point, not my opinions.)
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:27 pm

I suppose that makes sense, but I still don't understand why so many people associate it with abortion when that's apparently not the case. But I guess that's another debate entirely, so I'll leave it at that.

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:47 pm

Even if you fertilize in lab, you are taking the egg. And fertilizeing the egg in the women's body is better than lab.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:07 am

As a Catholic, this is a difficult issue for me. I am torn between a church that tells me stem cell research is immoral and the possibly amazing medical cures that could result from such research. I don't like the idea of toying with human embryos, but if someone's life was saved by a cure that was made possible through stem cell research - especially if that someone was a person I love - I don't think I'd be very willing to condemn the doctors who made that cure possible. And if the stem cells were taken from a left-over in vitro embryo that was going to be thrown away anyway, I think my misgivings would be even less.

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:26 am

It has many ways. And, to be honest, I still couldn't decide exactly about which is better. All has good and bad sides. But I will be scientist and researches are needed.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:25 pm

Poison wrote:It has many ways. And, to be honest, I still couldn't decide exactly about which is better. All has good and bad sides. But I will be scientist and researches are needed.

I agree, all things have good and bad sides..just consider whether a thing have more good effects for manking or the bad effects?? if the good one is more, so you can continue..
the same thing also happen in the world of food chemistry. Did you ever heard that many activists long time ago do a protest due to the distribution of the irradiated foods?? They [activists] said many things, but after I read the explanation from nuclear chemistry geek (I think he teach in the Pittsburgh University), all those protest are unreasonable...
From this incident, we can see that irradiated food have more good effect compared to its bad effect..so, they can continue producing it..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:34 pm

Yes but unfortunately you can't do a chart with good and bad effects since not all of them have the same value. For example, if the cure for cancer gives you a mild rash, you can't say it has one positive effect and one negative effect. It ain't that simple...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:01 am

Yes. Completely right.
If all embryonic stem cell researches are allowed people will pay money and use some women like egg-machines.
But on the other side, stem cells can be the cure for a lot of diseases, such as cancer.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:00 am

I suppose it's not all that different from some other things, such as genetic engineering or nuclear power. Genetic engineering can produce disease-resistant crops or livestock (dramatically reducing world hunger), but if that technology falls into the wrong hands, some whacko might try to breed a super-race and kill the rest of us (another Adolf Hitler?). Nuclear power has the potential to drastically reduce pollution, but there's the risk of meltdown (Chernoble) or its use as a weapon (Hiroshima). Stem cell research seems be similar; it's great, as long as proper ethics are maintained. Let's just be glad Hitler never perfected genetic engineering or, even worse, cloning.