HOMESTASIS

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

de_illest
Garter
Garter

HOMESTASIS

Post by de_illest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:58 pm

HOW IS HOMEOSTATIS MAINTAINED AFTER CAFFEINE IS INGESTED???? ANYONE HELP PLZZZZZZZ AND THANK YOU!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:33 pm

Caffeine, our good friend C8H10N4O2 exercits a lot of nasty effects at a cellular level in nervos, muscular, cardiovascular systems(but not only). Fortunately, after a while, the liver breaks it down and it is excreted as ordinary cellular wastes
PS: I am not entirely sure about this since it is from a book that i have found to be wrong before. However, this particular explanation seems logic and simple
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:32 am

Caffeine..known as 1,3,5-trimethylxanthine (IUPAC's name is confusing right?) rumored will give bad effect only if you consume it too much...
the same thing also happen to alcohol. it's been written in the medicine journals that consuming alcohol will reduce the possibility of heartattack IF you consume it not too much...
I can think that our livers have done much more complex processes to result that things above..
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:49 pm

Right on both cases victor. I forgot to mention that. Like in any nutrition question, moderation is the answer. Basically what caffeine does is speed up your methabolism and speed up brain activity, at the cost of coordonating motor functions and heart rate. Unlike alcohol however, caffeine has no good effects if you consume it in small doses, except keeping you awake. It's just that in small doses it doesn't harm you.

By the way, the way that alcohol hurts your liver in large quantities is by some special cells called Ito cells. When you drink too much they turn into miofibroblasts and rsult into the fibrosation of the liver(irreversible!)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:15 pm

MrMistery wrote:Right on both cases victor. I forgot to mention that. Like in any nutrition question, moderation is the answer. Basically what caffeine does is speed up your methabolism and speed up brain activity, at the cost of coordonating motor functions and heart rate. Unlike alcohol however, caffeine has no good effects if you consume it in small doses, except keeping you awake. It's just that in small doses it doesn't harm you.

That's right because caffeine is in the different family with alcohol..caffeine is classified in alkaloid together with cocaine..

MrMistery wrote:By the way, the way that alcohol hurts your liver in large quantities is by some special cells called Ito cells. When you drink too much they turn into miofibroblasts and rsult into the fibrosation of the liver(irreversible!)

Alcohol also makes you body become addicted because liver is tryin to dehydroxize the -OH from alcohol, making it become acetyl and get in to the Krebs..it's all done by the smooth RE in the liver cell. But, too much alcohol time to time means that liver cells have to add their smooth RE to neutralize them (irreversible toleration sympthom). When you stop to drink higher amount of alcohol, some of the excesses remaining smooth RE will "lose their job" so, they begging you to drink more.. :lol:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:30 pm

victor wrote:]
Alcohol also makes you body become addicted because liver is tryin to dehydroxize the -OH from alcohol, making it become acetyl and get in to the Krebs..it's all done by the smooth RE in the liver cell. But, too much alcohol time to time means that liver cells have to add their smooth RE to neutralize them (irreversible toleration sympthom). When you stop to drink higher amount of alcohol, some of the excesses remaining smooth RE will "lose their job" so, they begging you to drink more.. :lol:

Yeap, the enzymes that perform the job are called cytocromoxidases. They are located on the external side of the smooth endoplasmic reticulum membrane.