Woolly Mammoth Resurected?

Animals!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

catfishjim
Garter
Garter

Post by catfishjim » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:40 pm

Super Grendel wrote:There really isn't much purpose to cloning a Woolly Mammoth (nor would there be much enthusiasm)... ...To Darwin enthusiast's the Woolly Mammoth died out because it was not fit to survive...

I think your post brings up a really tricky question:
One leading theory says that woolly mammoths died out because they were overhunted by humans. If humans - with the help of technology - drive a species to extinction, is that pure natural selection, or is it somehow "supernatural?"

(Of course, the extension of this discussion includes the "evolution" of robots as described by guys like Ray Kurzweil and Hans Moravec.)

flint
Garter
Garter

Post by flint » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:09 am

When humans decide which animals get to breed and which do not it is referred to as artifical selection. Ive never really heard this being applied to humans killing off a wild species though.

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:04 am

SaMuS_mEtRoId wrote: it probably wouldn't be too harmfull to humans and animals when it's older because it would be used to being around them.

I don't know if that is a safe bet to make.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

catfishjim
Garter
Garter

Post by catfishjim » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 pm

ZakaSPFC wrote:This is not true but the Tasmanian Tiger(Thylacinus cynacephalus) is going to be a reality soon, probably by 2020( according to popular science)

Tasmanian tiger/wolf has only been extinct since 1936 - but as far as I know, that project has been canceled or suspended, anyway.