Woolly Mammoth Resurected?

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Invader Zim
Garter
Garter

Woolly Mammoth Resurected?

Post by Invader Zim » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:30 pm

I have heard on the news recently that scientists are going to be able to produce a real woolly mammoth. I think that this would not be possible because I cannot think how they would acheive this. Could someone please tell me how they propose to carry this out and if you think that it is actually true :?:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:04 pm

Well if it was on the news it is true. If they can truly do it i don't know. Many movies show mammoths frozen and brought back to life, but i don't know if it possible just yet..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:35 pm

No what they have is the genome of the beast, now from the genome to the cloning there are a few steps that I am not sure science has already gone...

And with the global warming why resurect wooly mammoth anyway? ;)
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Invader Zim
Garter
Garter

Post by Invader Zim » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:49 pm

I know it really is quite silly, could they not be doing helpful things such as stopping pandas, tigers and gorillas from becoming extinct?
But anyway, it was on the news so they must be attempting to do it...

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:08 pm

In fact I read a more detailed account today, they just have the mitochondrial DNA, so cloning is not for tomorrow. But I don't think that anybody is working on that, the researcher probably said that it was something that could be done in the future and the media people just twisted it a little as usual...
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Super Grendel
Garter
Garter

Post by Super Grendel » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:14 am

There really isn't much purpose to cloning a Wolly Mammoth (nor would there be much enthusiasm). It's sort of like how children demand things they don't have and if they get it, they loose sight of why they wanted it so much. To Darwin enthusiest's the Wolly Mammoth died out because it was not fit to survive. For religious fanatics; there is no scientific benifits that could excuse playing God.

...Unless someone wants to make a real life Jurassic Park? That would be cool!
You can always FIND what your looking for but you can only DISCOVER what you didn't know.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:36 am

Umm, be sure to keep frog DNA out of it all lol
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

SaMuS_mEtRoId
Garter
Garter

Post by SaMuS_mEtRoId » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:06 pm

The way I think we would be able to resurect a wooly mammoth is that we take a tiny bit of DNA (hair, bone, etc) and try to grow something in a petri dish, and the put that in the closest living relative (african elephant) and then see where that goes! it probably wouldn't be too harmfull to humans and animals when it's older because it would be used to being around them. a good example of this type of cloning is in the book "House of the Scorpion" by Nancy Farmer

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:55 pm

It ain't that simple. and aquiring the DNA from something that lived so long ago is next to impossible.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

ZakaSPFC
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by ZakaSPFC » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:19 pm

This is not true but the Tasmanian Tiger(Thylacinus cynacephalus) is going to be a reality soon, probably by 2020( according to popular science)
Sadattay, Whattata Respec.

catfishjim
Garter
Garter

Post by catfishjim » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:59 pm

MrMistery wrote:Well if it was on the news it is true. If they can truly do it i don't know. Many movies show mammoths frozen and brought back to life, but i don't know if it possible just yet..

I guess if Spielberg can do it, anyone can...
;-)

catfishjim
Garter
Garter

Post by catfishjim » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:41 pm

MrMistery wrote:It ain't that simple. and aquiring the DNA from something that lived so long ago is next to impossible.

Woolly mammoths only went extinct about 10,000 years ago or so. And there are lots of more or less complete cadavers frozen in Siberia. So that wouldn't be the problem. I'm not an expert on this, but I think there are a lot of people who think it would be possible to clone one and use a modern elephant as the surrogate mother.