Help on Teaching Biology!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

April1977
Garter
Garter

Help on Teaching Biology!

Post by April1977 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:13 pm

I'm a college teacher in Germany. I teach Biology in English to German students. It is extremely difficult finding material in English here in Germany. I hope someone can help me and give me some tips where I can order material in English (worksheet, textbooks, etc) and especially recommend some.
I am desperately looking for material on enzymes, but also other fields such as ecology, genetics, evolution, metabolism.
Thanks in advance.

Mjhavok
Coral
Coral

Post by Mjhavok » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:43 am

I think you can buy textbooks from Amazon.co.uk and they will be imported.
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:24 pm

Well, you can generally find many things on the internet. For example, you will find the book "Mollecular biology of the cell" free on pubmed. Check the link in the PDF and DOC files section. Pubmed also has a lot of books on many things... You should check them out. But you will find online books in other places like
http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/far ... okTOC.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... ol=toolbar
http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/
http://www.bartleby.com/107/
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultran ... T/TOC.html
http://books.nap.edu/category.html?id=bi

Of course you can buy some books online from Amazon, but you need to pay money for those
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Crissie
Garter
Garter

Post by Crissie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:03 pm

Oh ,my God!!!! Thank you so much for the list...I just happened to be browsing through the messages posted here , when I found this list which is....REALLY REALLY HELPFUL!!!
I was really feeling quite dismal since I hardly have the means to afford all the books that interest me!
THANK YOU!

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:57 am

Crissie, so you are a teacher eh? Me too. Let's share things :)

Subah
Garter
Garter

Post by Subah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks for the links they are helpful :)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Everyone is welcome. I am happy to see that at least in some countries teachers actually try hard to teach their students, not like romania
PS: Dr.Stein, don't be eman. SHare your books with everyone please, not just other teachers
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:27 am

MrMistery wrote:PS: Dr.Stein, don't be eman. SHare your books with everyone please, not just other teachers

Who said I will share books? :? I want to share things :evil: :lol: Nah, seriously, according to the title of this thread, I want to share teaching technique with her because we both are teachers and I have problems with my students. I dunno whether it is my mistake on teaching or they are too lazy and have no willing/curiousness to study so I am not satisfied at all with what they achieve :roll: :(

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:56 pm

Yeah...here come the "lazy-sunday-morning syndrome"..:lol:
this kind of syndrome also attack and making me soooooo lazy especially in Sunday, because in Sunday I can spent >15 hours just for sleeping...any suggestion?
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:48 pm

Coca-cola(pepsi)? Cofee? RedBull?

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:12 am

victor wrote:Yeah...here come the "lazy-sunday-morning syndrome"..:lol:
this kind of syndrome also attack and making me soooooo lazy especially in Sunday, because in Sunday I can spent >15 hours just for sleeping...any suggestion?

You need me to kick you out of bed :lol: :lol: :lol:

pitch
Garter
Garter

Post by pitch » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 pm

Mr mistery wrote:
you will find the book "Mollecular biology of the cell" free on pubmed. Check the link in the PDF and DOC files section.

Excuse me I sought on pubmed but I didn't find any link to download the book for free, I saw a link to buy the book but noting to get it for free.Could you explain me exactly how to procede to get that great book but so expensive for me.:?
I thank you. :wink: