Is this even a "real" scenario?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

skybolt_1
Garter
Garter

Is this even a "real" scenario?

Post by skybolt_1 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:52 am

Hey everyone,

I'm desperate: I think that my bio professor has put a trick question on our final. Here is the exact text of what I have:

It is desired to develop an E. coli fed-batch fermentation growing on minimal salts and glycerol to a cell density of 50 grams dry cell/liter. Design a media (including inorganic components) and feed rate that can support this growth keeping in mind that glycerol concentrations above 5 grams/liter produce excess acetate and NH4+ concentrations above 4 grams/liter are inhibitory.

u (specific growth rate) = 0.693 hr-1
Y x/s = 0.45 gram dry cells/ gram of glycerol
Y x/nh4+ = 10.0 gram dry cells/gram of NH4+

Nothing about this problem makes any sense. The closest I've come to any kind of solution is to use Terriffic Broth as the basis for my media, since it appears to be the only media which contains any glycerol.

How can you find the feed rate, which is supposedly dV/dt = F, if I dont have any culture volumes or times? All I got is what is quoted above....

Any kind of insight would be great... I'm at my wits end here. :(

skybolt_1