what is chromatophores

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jazz
Garter
Garter

what is chromatophores

Post by jazz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:46 am

i'm looking for the functions and the parts of fish that containing my question chromatophores...the most important parts and the parts that are relating to this organ and thier function. if you have any idea with it so please i really appriciating your help..thank you...

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:27 pm

Special cells in the skin that contain melanin. By modifying the quantity of melanine in the cell, it can change it's color. The fish uses this structure to blend in with the environment. They are controled by a part of the brain called the myelencephalon
Quite an interesting sturcture
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

jazz
Garter
Garter

thanks

Post by jazz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:24 pm

hey thanks for your answer.. m asking cause it is part of my final examination...well thanks and i'll stop by later for more questions...[b][/b]

flint
Garter
Garter

Post by flint » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:55 am

MrMistery wrote:SBy modifying the quantity of melanine in the cell, it can change it's color.

Are you sure about this? I am not positive how they work in fishes but I have always been taught that they are contractile cells, and by contracting some chromatophores and expanding others the organism is able to change appearance.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:54 pm

I was a little off, the pigment is not removed and introduced in the cell it is concentrated in the middle and then spread around the cytoplasm. Sorry. I could have sworn that it was like that.

Anyway, if you are interested in chromatophores, here is the deal on how they work:
"Microtubules radiate from the microtubule organising center in the skin cell of a fish. electron microscopy reveals pigment granules that migrate back and forth along the microtubules. when the pigment is concentrated near the center of cells, the fish has a light, speckeled coloration. when the granules spread along the cytoskeleton and fill the cells the skin of the fish turns dark. this process enables the fish to match it's concentration to it's backround."
Biology, Campbell, 3rd edition, page 139. I know it's an old edition but I live in Romania, you won't exactly find the book on the street here...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter