Best way to approach answer

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MsW
Garter
Garter

Best way to approach answer

Post by MsW » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:05 pm

I have a set essay to prepare with the title;

“How does the structure of the mitochondrion reflect its function in the cell?”

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this? I will have an hour to write the essay and so far all I can think of doing is describing the outer and inner membrane, cristae, matrix etc and what they do. I'm not sure that is the best way to approach the question. I'm having problems relating the structure and function. So far the best thing I have thought of is the large surface area of the inner membrane.

Any help is appreciated. :)

A'rebours
Garter
Garter

Post by A'rebours » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:46 pm

i've been set the same essay which has to be done tomorrow :( around 700 words only managed 300 so far! so yeh any help REALLY appreciated

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:32 pm

yes.
mitocondria has 2 layer of membrane. the inner is crista. the metabolic reaction occur there. well, it is 2 layer so that it should be some things that behind it and it should be something that needs of high surface. the organelles work on chemical reaction. so what occurs in mitocondria? the chemical reaction that is the largest/high amount of chemical reactant and it is very needed by cell. so think in your mind what is the most common reaction would occur in each cell. it is metabolic reaction.
so this answer your question
(^ ^)

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:56 pm

tell something about the protongradient created between the inner and outer membrane of the mitochondiron in relation with oxidative phosphorylation.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:02 pm

As sdekivit said, that is one of the most eloquent examples of structure fitting function. It is the reason why they couldn't figure out how it works for a long time, as they were looking for a chemical reaction and it is more a physical process
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Jelanen
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Jelanen » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:17 pm

Don't forget to reflect on how the structure of the mitochondira enables it to do the work the cell needs it to do. Ask yourself "What if it wasn't there" for each structural element and the answer will come easier. Its always important to answer the question being answered, not just regurgitating what you know about mitochondria.

-Jelanen
'It is futile to pretend to the public that we understand how an amoeba evolved into a man, when we cannot tell our students how a human egg produces a skin cell or a brain cell!'

Dr Jérôme J. Lejeune