Serial Symbiosis

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bionewbie
Coral
Coral

Serial Symbiosis

Post by bionewbie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:35 am

How is the process of serial symbiosis still ongoing?

Would lichen be an example?

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:10 am

Serial symbiosis is a new term to me, maybe someone can enlighten me on this. However lichens are a good example of a symbiosis haveing a mycobiont and phycobiont coexisting to benifit one another. By the way, I read somewhere that a lichen does not necessarily have to have a phycobiont or algae to form. Has anyone else read or heard of this? :)
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:36 pm

Hmm... It doesn't have to have an algae, it can also form between some species of cyanobacteria and a fungus. But you do need someone to "make the food"
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:32 am

I only have one reference publication on lichens and I do not recall it saying anything similar to that. I believe I read that on some web site. However I do not rely on web sites, with a few exceptions of course, for factual information. Some sites are thrown together just for the sake of having the site up and on the web. I have found lots of misleading information on some.

However I do agree, at present, that there must be a phycobiont of some sort, either algae or a cyanobacteria to manufacture food :)
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:31 pm

Believe me, it's true, i read it in the campbell book i think. Generally, it's an algae, but in some cases it can be a cyanobacteria
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter