Most endangered animal in the world

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

scottyiu
Coral
Coral

Most endangered animal in the world

Post by scottyiu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:35 am

What is currenly the most endangered animal in the world? (i mean the least amount)
This forum is so cool

Bio-Hazard
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Bio-Hazard » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 pm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mo ... gle+Search

Depends on the species, I assume. There is probably one on the brink of destruction more than the other.. I think it was 300 species die every year or something..

in the past 20 years approximately 1 million species have disappeared from the world's tropical forests.
(source)

ert.. day?

So if I get this right, there are tons on the brink of destruction.. however, the ones that aren't so close yet, people try to save.

If you had godlike power, I assume the current ability to save the ones in danger at the moment I type this would be possible.

byungminsa
Garter
Garter

Post by byungminsa » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 pm

that quote seems far from credible. It sounds like someone is just saying that to impress people. For that statement to to be made true, they would have to catergorize every of those million species (how else would you know it's a species?) and confirm that it is extinct and hasn't been moved around.
People mock what they do not understand or fear.

Super Grendel
Garter
Garter

Post by Super Grendel » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:24 am

The European Red Fox (vulpus vulpus) in Australia has hunted hundreds of species into extinction as we speak (they brought over 40 species of animals into extinction) so probly any small Austraian mammel is in great danger. Though Bio-Hazards quote is right (to an extent) many animal species are being brought into extinction each year, but this has been happening since the dawn of time. (Thier called evolutionary dead-ends) Humans are just speeding up the process directly (with agriculture) and indirectly (with species invasion).
You can always FIND what your looking for but you can only DISCOVER what you didn't know.

scottyiu
Coral
Coral

Post by scottyiu » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:43 am

So there is no record of how many animals and species is there on earth?
This forum is so cool

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:18 pm

Especially with smaller animals like insects or even microscopic animals it is impossible to know all of the different species in the world. In the rainforest some people have found there are many different species of insects on each tree that have never been found anywhere else. I think a scientist did something to kill everything in a tree and had a sheet to catch everything that fell out and she had a ton of new species and each tree she did that to she found different species. I believe it is predicted that a species dies every 10 minutes. Since humans care less about bugs and more about birds or mammals small animals don't get much attention, but the extinction of small animals affects all the species! Especially the bug - bird relationship. Even the extinction of plants matters!

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

TheGreatEstafios
Garter
Garter

Post by TheGreatEstafios » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:36 am

hm....i think its the lord howe island stick insect. only 10 left or something
I swear to drunk im not god!

123Herpatology
Death Adder
Death Adder

Javan Rhino

Post by 123Herpatology » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:24 pm

One of the larger species i know that is becoming extinct is the Javan rhino on the javan islands. I think they report only 200-300 living specimens in the world and i don't think there could be more than 10-20 in captivity. But for certain, there are thousands of species in costa rica, guam, and other small prestine tropical areas that are going to be extinct because of deforistation(sp). I know there are all sorts of longhorn beetles and katydids that won't be around in 2006 because of deforrestation.
wisdom=the anti-venom for failure

ZakaSPFC
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by ZakaSPFC » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:48 pm

There is a hawaiian bird that is only left in captivity, Ananu me thinks the name is
Sadattay, Whattata Respec.

doctor phil
Garter
Garter

Post by doctor phil » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:29 pm

im 14 so im new :lol:
i think i heard somewhere that a fish somewhere was only 5 left. :)