how the brain works?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

RizwanQ-CAD
Garter
Garter

how the brain works?

Post by RizwanQ-CAD » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:01 pm

hello,

the eyes detect light, and impulses are sent to the visual centre. how does the brain interpret what we see? it down to moevment of chemicals?

are the colours we see really the colours of the world and playgrounds?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:56 pm

You are joking right? there are a lot of books written on the domain. Generally, yes, you can call it movement of chemicals. Colors are chemicals that come from cones, to put it simple...
Last edited by MrMistery on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Nemi
Garter
Garter

Brain Transplants

Post by Nemi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:23 pm

You know that if brain transplants were possible there wouldn't be half the diseases there are today because, most disease are in the brain. Wouldn't you think that if it was possible to detach the brain stem to switch with another person you would have there memories? Isn't that crazy!? What do you think about that? Oh and MrMistery, I think you spelled colors wrong.

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brain Transplants

Post by biostudent84 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:21 pm

Nemi wrote:You know that if brain transplants were possible there wouldn't be half the diseases there are today because, most disease are in the brain. Wouldn't you think that if it was possible to detach the brain stem to switch with another person you would have there memories? Isn't that crazy!? What do you think about that? Oh and MrMistery, I think you spelled colors wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. Memories make who you are. You would in effect be someone else if you changed your memories with someone in this matter...if it were possible.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 pm

Yes, there is no brain switching, only body switches.

I also don't like your generalization about how half the diseases stem from the brain.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:23 am

mithrilhack wrote:Yes, there is no brain switching, only body switches.

I also don't like your generalization about how half the diseases stem from the brain.

Perhaps he was saying that the most common cause of death (old age) was the result of neural deterioriation.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:28 pm

Nemi wrote:Oh and MrMistery, I think you spelled colors wrong.

Even though my english is very far from perfect, i did know how to spell colors, i just wasn't paying attention.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:29 pm

MrMistery wrote:
Nemi wrote:Oh and MrMistery, I think you spelled colors wrong.

Even though my english is very far from perfect, i did know how to spell colors, i just wasn't paying attention.

I make type-o's all the time ;)

Mjhavok
Coral
Coral

Post by Mjhavok » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:09 am

biostudent84 wrote:
Nemi wrote:You know that if brain transplants were possible there wouldn't be half the diseases there are today because, most disease are in the brain. Wouldn't you think that if it was possible to detach the brain stem to switch with another person you would have there memories? Isn't that crazy!? What do you think about that? Oh and MrMistery, I think you spelled colors wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. Memories make who you are. You would in effect be someone else if you changed your memories with someone in this matter...if it were possible.

Memories change and make you who you are by adding to your personality and experiences. I don't think all we are, is a collection of memories. This is getting to spiritual lol.
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!