Question in regards to brain damage.

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

rkohl211
Garter
Garter

Question in regards to brain damage.

Post by rkohl211 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:19 pm

Hello,
I have a friend who was involved in a car accident and has suffered a severe blow to the front/right side of his brain. He lives in a different state and I have been communicating with his family. I am curious to know what kind of lasting effects can occur with this kind of trauma. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chicoguardian
Coral
Coral

Post by chicoguardian » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:16 pm

The lasting effects can be vary.. one lasting effect is someone could damage part of their brain and never retain information, other effects are ammnesia, coma(varies with damage) and even a vegitative state of the human body...there you are :wink:
Life is not of comedy but tragedy, life lives and then dies in sorrow

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Post by GreenDog » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:55 pm

So many bad things can happen that you don't really want to know all possible outcomes.
Damage to the frontal lobe can cause changes in behavior. The frontal lobe is in charge of planning of actions and suppressions of primitive urges, so a person with damage to the frontal lobe may behave like a child. (The frontal lobe in children has not yet fully developed, and this is why they behave like children).
The Temporal lobe has many functions so it depends what area was damaged. (Motor, Sensor…).
But I hope your friend fully recovers without significant side affects.

supergirl
Garter
Garter

coma

Post by supergirl » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Other human,
You asked your question more like 2 years ago, so by now you will now many answers. It depends pro person. It depends on what cells in his brain are broken and not, yet, recovered.
I hope you will stay his friend, because of his sake. If it is hard to still like him, try at least to see him every once in a while. I hope he won't be discriminated because of his, probebly, changes.

Sonja
it is never my purpose to hurt anyone, i only speak directly, straight from my heart

Tae Jun, Yoon
Garter
Garter

Post by Tae Jun, Yoon » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:21 am

I think you can get a specific information by reading this book - Brain Story by Susan Greenfield. Have a nice day! :)
What makes the desert beautiful
is that somewhere it hide a well - The Little Prince