DESTARCHING LEAVES!!! OH GOD!!

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

icesheikh
Garter
Garter

DESTARCHING LEAVES!!! OH GOD!!

Post by icesheikh » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:14 pm

hey everyone, im new here! n i totally hate bio but i have 2 take it .. newayz vr doing sumthin wid leavez .. da question is how can i remove chlorophyll from leavez and y r leavez destarched b4 experimenting? and wat happenz 2 da starch at night?

icesheikh
Garter
Garter

Post by icesheikh » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:23 pm

cum on ppl i need help here!!!! :(
There is a death I'm awaiting, There is a home I am deserting ... i hold my breath and wait, wen only moments remain ....

▐¦ Hū$н $нΣ|кH ¦▐

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:25 pm

it would help if you wrote something that we can understand...like proper english?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

icesheikh
Garter
Garter

Post by icesheikh » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:55 pm

:? how can i remove chlorophyll from leaves and why are leaves destarched before experimenting? and also what happens to the starch in the leaves at night?
There is a death I'm awaiting, There is a home I am deserting ... i hold my breath and wait, wen only moments remain ....

▐¦ Hū$н $нΣ|кH ¦▐

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:32 pm

At night starch is degraded, because there is no photosynthesis going on, but the plant needs to undergo cell respiration.
To remove chlorophil from a plant you simply cut the leaf into little pieces. then you put them in a solvent, preferably CH3-CH2-OH. Boil it until the the leaves have no color and the alcohol is green. Filter the extract after that through a filter paper. Then you got yourself a nice chlorophil extract. You do not need to destarch the leaves for the experiment, i have done it last year.

Another experiment is done by destarching leaves: the influence of light on photosynthesis
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

icesheikh
Garter
Garter

Post by icesheikh » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:00 pm

photosynthesis??

▐¦ Hū$н $нΣ|кH ¦▐

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:14 pm

yes, photosynthesis...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

teenager witch
Garter
Garter

Post by teenager witch » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:10 pm

To remove chlorophil from a plant you simply cut the leaf into little pieces. then you put them in a solvent, preferably CH3-CH2-OH. Boil it until the the leaves have no color and the alcohol is green. Filter the extract after that through a filter paper. Then you got yourself a nice chlorophil extract. You do not need to destarch the leaves for the experiment, i have done it last year.

You experiment is much simpler than mine………….
We did the same experiment using separating funnel this semester but with a little different. We add acetone during grinding of the leaves then we filter the extract. Next step is really complicated, we add to this extract a system of different solvents e.g petroleum ether. There is no boiling. Finally, you will get different colored layers of each pigment.

chicoguardian
Coral
Coral

Post by chicoguardian » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:15 pm

you guys almost make my brain hurt from this :)
Life is not of comedy but tragedy, life lives and then dies in sorrow

Invader Zim
Garter
Garter

Post by Invader Zim » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:30 pm

photosynthesis??

Basically photosynthesis is a process by which plants make energy by converting light energy into chemical energy.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:19 pm

teenager witch wrote:We did the same experiment using separating funnel this semester but with a little different. We add acetone during grinding of the leaves then we filter the extract. Next step is really complicated, we add to this extract a system of different solvents e.g petroleum ether. There is no boiling. Finally, you will get different colored layers of each pigment.

That's because you did a completely different experminent: what you did is separation of different pigments in plants not chlorophil extraction

teenager witch
Garter
Garter

Post by teenager witch » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:26 pm

Really :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:
you drive me crazy :evil: .that's was my first post and I really thought I did well.I need some encouragment here :(
and what about your experiment?did it seperate chlorophyll only?It doesn't seem that.