saccharomyces cerevisiae

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hunny
Garter
Garter

saccharomyces cerevisiae

Post by hunny » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:05 pm

anyone knows how saccharomyces cerevisiae (yeasts) reproduction...??
Last edited by hunny on Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hunny
Garter
Garter

Post by hunny » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:49 pm

saccharomyces cerevisiae is a kind of yeasts that we use to make bread.. any one help me because this is my school project... :cry:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:22 pm

saccharomyces cerivisae is a very interesting organism. It is part of the Endomycetales order and reproduces both asexually and sexually.
Asexual reproduction: These fungi do not create asexual ascospores. through budding(not sure about translation though...). The fungus forms asces with 4 ascospores
Sexual reproduction: In those asces 4 ascospores develop, each having n=4 chromosoms as opposed to the vegetative fungus that has 2n=8. THESE ARE SEXUAL SPORES, WITH DIFFERENT SEXUAL POTENTIALS(you can call them gamets, but, for some reason, the people that write fungi biosistematics books prefer the sexual spores term). After copulation, these spores form a new diploid organism...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter