Cell membrane and cell wall

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

scottyiu
Coral
Coral

Cell membrane and cell wall

Post by scottyiu » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:40 pm

Some stuff can go through the cell membrane like glocose. But can anything go throught the cell wall? (without breaking it)
This forum is so cool

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:29 pm

Of course it can. If it couldn't than the plant cell would be impermeable to everything, wouldn't it? It has pores. I am sorry but i can't translate their names...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:06 pm

Actually, generally cell wall is more permeable than cell membrane.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

Fried Zygote Sandwich
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Fried Zygote Sandwich » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:07 am

Of course plant cell walls must be porous...

Two names for these that come to mind are plasmodesmata and aquaporins. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Just one more thing though. Glucose isn't permeable to the lipid bilyaer... It requires a transport protein.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:41 pm

Two names for these that come to mind are plasmodesmata and aquaporins. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

You are not worng but you missed what i was reffering to. Plasmodesmes connect cells between each other. Aquaporins are water channels in the cell membrane, have nothing to do with what we are discussing... What i was reffering to are the holes in the cell wall...

Just one more thing though. Glucose isn't permeable to the lipid bilyaer... It requires a transport protein.

Wrong again. Yes a phospholipid bilayer is impremeable to glucose, but the membrane is. Most membranes are 50% lipid and 50% protein so if your substance can move through proteins the membrane is permeable for it.

The cell membrane is impremeable for example, to the large protein anions that form the gibbs-donnan equilibrium in the neuron.
Last edited by MrMistery on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

cool A-level student
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by cool A-level student » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:53 am

the cell wall has pores and is generally more permeable as u guys have said
in teh membrane you get different kinds of proteins like carrier proteins or channel proteins ect...
it all adds up to be more permeable

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:36 pm

'anything can go through cell wall."

how about rock? it is kinda of stuck.
i think the things that can go through cell wall only the microscophic substants. but i do not know when the cell wall were the primary one, because the growth of this cell wall is reversible. and if there is biologist who wanna to reconstruct the properties of the cell, it may be metal structure which goes into the cell.
well.. many of probability.(sorry if my english is not to good)

scottyiu
Coral
Coral

Post by scottyiu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:17 am

Wow, I never knew a cell wall is more permable than a cell membrane. My teacher always says that a cell membrane is permable and a cell wall is not...
This forum is so cool

Lary
Garter
Garter

Post by Lary » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:10 pm

there are sevaral kinds of pathways cross the membrane for transporting , but for the cell wall, the issue is very simple

lara
Coral
Coral

Post by lara » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:58 am

cell wall is involved in rigidity and support of the cell.it is completely permeable.

Amirah
Garter
Garter

Post by Amirah » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:00 pm

Yup, the cell wall is permeable....water and other substance pass freely through it...it surrounds the plasma membrane.

The cell membrane absorbs nutrients and dispose wastes. It controls the transport of materials in and out of the cell