bacteria can not be used to...

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ESTRANGED
Garter
Garter

bacteria can not be used to...

Post by ESTRANGED » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm

Hello everybody, this forum is great . thank you!!!

I ve got this question. I have done biology in the past but the truth is that as much more as i study as many more things i discover that i have to study about!!!

a) make yoghurt -lactobacillus acidophilus

b) deacy dead plants

c) make bread - saccharomyces cerevisiae

d) make drugs - for example streptomycin

i have found on a site some plant illnesses caused by bacteria or/and fungi. now since these two are from a different category in the kingdom of living organisms i cannot get why i cannot find a straight forward answer. i would appreciate it if somebody could help me :/

chicoguardian
Coral
Coral

Post by chicoguardian » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:28 pm

It would be (C) and the reason: bacteria is used for yogert(look about the making of yogert), drugs so that we can be immune to the bacteria and the last reason is bacteria decay and organism unless preserved in salt or snow.
Life is not of comedy but tragedy, life lives and then dies in sorrow

Navin
Coral
Coral

Post by Navin » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:21 pm

chicoguardian wrote:It would be (C) and the reason: bacteria is used for yogert(look about the making of yogert), drugs so that we can be immune to the bacteria and the last reason is bacteria decay and organism unless preserved in salt or snow.

How is bacteria used to make drugs?
Botany is the study of what? Bottoms!

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:38 pm

Just feed them and they will provide it... Most of the antibiotics we used were derived from bacterial and fungi products. They use it as a "weapon" in their struggle to outcompete other bacteria. As well as some other bugs produce ethanol, acids, colicines to which they resist, but not the other competitors.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

chicoguardian
Coral
Coral

Post by chicoguardian » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:19 pm

Canalon wrote:Just feed them and they will provide it... Most of the antibiotics we used were derived from bacterial and fungi products. They use it as a "weapon" in their struggle to outcompete other bacteria. As well as some other bugs produce ethanol, acids, colicines to which they resist, but not the other competitors.
Tanks for backing that one up.. :D, but not only is the bacteria used to counter other dangerous prokariotic cells, but it is also used in shots such as flu shots(I think) to let our body know what they are going against when we catch a stonger strain of dangerous illnesses
Life is not of comedy but tragedy, life lives and then dies in sorrow

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:27 pm

chicoguardian wrote:
Canalon wrote:Just feed them and they will provide it... Most of the antibiotics we used were derived from bacterial and fungi products. They use it as a "weapon" in their struggle to outcompete other bacteria. As well as some other bugs produce ethanol, acids, colicines to which they resist, but not the other competitors.
Tanks for backing that one up.. :D, but not only is the bacteria used to counter other dangerous prokariotic cells, but it is also used in shots such as flu shots(I think) to let our body know what they are going against when we catch a stonger strain of dangerous illnesses

Flu is a virus, so no bacteria involved...

But yes some vaccines are based on attenuated strains of both bacteria and viruses. Even though there is a tendancy to use recombinant vaccines that are much less likely to have nasty side effects.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)