Effect of solvents on cell membrane

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Jubijezza
Garter
Garter

Effect of solvents on cell membrane

Post by Jubijezza » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:36 pm

Hello. I am new. Could anyone give me any help as to what the effects on the cell membrane are, when it is exposed to solvent..? I guess it becomes more permeable but I don't know why. What exactly happens to the phospholipids and proteins? Thanks. :shock:

Fried Zygote Sandwich
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Fried Zygote Sandwich » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:15 am

Well, remembering my chemistry lessons I'm going to have to assume that by a solvent you mean something that will dissolve the membrane (solute). Therefore it would destroy the membrane.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:37 pm

I guess it would depend on the solvent. But i don't how it can affect the membrane, except for inactivating proteins...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:22 pm

If you added NaCl to your medium, it would dissolve into Na+ and Cl-, the increased concentration of Na would cause it to flow into the cell, and in a sense it is more permeable because more is flowing in...but the number of open channels where it flow in would be simply the passive channels and that doesn't really change so I'd say it doesn't really affect permeability, unless it was some sort of messenger that binds to receptors opening their channels.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr