URGENT: Neuroscience Vs. Biotechnology

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

BiologyIs4Life
Garter
Garter

URGENT: Neuroscience Vs. Biotechnology

Post by BiologyIs4Life » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:04 am

Hello everyone!
I hope you all are doing well...

I have a slight problem. I have been thinking of studying something in the sciences field for university *crosses fingers* and I have been thinking of two particular majors! I need assistance!

1. In your personal view, what exactly is neuroscience and what is biotech?!
2. how successful are bachelor degrees of science (B.Sc) for each of the majors for career potential?! Anyone of these studies have an advantange over the other?!
3. Which would you personally choose if you had to and why?!

I'd appreciate all of your comments as soon as you can reply...this is rather making me upset and worried...I appreciate your help :wink: :lol:

hurly
Coral
Coral

Post by hurly » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:55 am

If you look at the jobmarket today, there's more hope for biotechnology. And easier to get a job too.
If you're going to take Neuro major, you'll probably end up working at a university. But getting work at a university is also hard, they usually require at least a Ph.D degree 8)

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Post by GreenDog » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:44 am

I think it's better to go to the place where you'd have better grades, and easier life. Just make sure it's a good university. A bachelor degree is just very general knowledge, not very deep and you don't get enough experience in practical work etc.
When you apply for a job having a B.Sc. they don't really care what exactly you've studied as long as you can do well in their exams, or create a good impression in the interview.
Master is mostly for learning the practical work, methods and procedures. This is also the reason why you don't have to have "results" to complete a master thesis.

My bachelor was in general biology with an emphasis on molecular genetics, my master is going to be in neuroscience. I can go and work in any place that needs biologists, it takes a little while to learn the job and that’s it. If I decide to for a Doctorate I can go anywhere even to a completely new area Biochemistry for example.

zhengwj005
Garter
Garter

Post by zhengwj005 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:54 am

For me,biotechnology is helpful for the job hunting.
But if you want to be a reseacher, you'd better enter neuroscience department :roll:

BiologyIs4Life
Garter
Garter

Post by BiologyIs4Life » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:19 pm

Thanks everyone :)
I think Biotechnology is the one for me...then again I can always get into the Biotech program at one university and after a year transfer to the Biotech at a better university right...as long as I keep a good average in that year of university! :D
Wish me luck everyone~ keep your fingers crossed for me! :P
Thanks!

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:28 am

Yup, you choose it right...I'll also choose biotech right after graduated from biology :lol: but my problem is...my bio knowledge majority only related with medical sciences...so I have to work harder if I want to major in Biotech... :wink:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

BiologyIs4Life
Garter
Garter

Post by BiologyIs4Life » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:28 pm

victor wrote:Yup, you choose it right...I'll also choose biotech right after graduated from biology :lol: but my problem is...my bio knowledge majority only related with medical sciences...so I have to work harder if I want to major in Biotech... :wink:

Wait a minute...so you're saying I have to study Biology first...have an undergrad major /degree in Biology before I can study Biotechnology?! Or could I just enter into a biotechnology undergrad major and get a bachelor of science in biotech?! ...mmm... I'm confused now! Cuz I thought you can enter both...You only need to study more if you wanna get into Medical School...that's what I heard...I may be wrong :P

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:00 pm

No, actually you can enter biotech without taking biology...but I've taken biology faculty now so, I'll continue my degree in biotech as my master degree...sometimes, I think that medical sciences are cool... :wink:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:44 pm

neuroscience is kind of science which is related to the neuron, and study about the brain and the mental state.

1.biotech study the technique to reconstruct the genetic stucture or the releated topic. it is can be classified to biochemistry

2. i do not have any idea because i do not have enough information

3. i love biochemistry. mm.. neuroscience sounds to be so phylosophic