feoetal and adult haemoglobin how does it differ

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hayleys
Garter
Garter

feoetal and adult haemoglobin how does it differ

Post by hayleys » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm

hi guys i am new to all this but hey here it goes i need help in finding out how fetal haemogloin differs to that of an adult if n e one could help or knows any links please help

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:06 pm

Are you sure it does differ? From what i know, hemoglobine is hemoglobine. But new-born babies have more red blood cells:5,5-6 mlion/cubic mm
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

zenith_beth
Garter
Garter

Post by zenith_beth » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:35 pm

Foetal Hb is different from maternal Hb. The differnce is that while adult Hb is made up of 2 alpha chains and 2 beta chains, foetal Hb is made up of 2 alpha and 2 GAMMA chains. Infact this difference in Hb causes foetal Hb to have a higher affinity for oxygen. This is important because at the placenta the oxygen must cross from the mother's blood to the foetus's, and if it is to do so the foetus's Hb must have a higher affinity for oxygen (ie. it "attracts" oxygen more towards it)
wizzie :-)

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:04 pm

MrMistery wrote:Are you sure it does differ? From what i know, hemoglobine is hemoglobine. But new-born babies have more red blood cells:5,5-6 mlion/cubic mm

reply above is completely correct ;)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:46 pm

Cool, i learned something today! So when does the fetal Hb change to regular Hb?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

catwhoplaysguitar
Garter
Garter

Post by catwhoplaysguitar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:15 pm

After birth, as the red blood cells with fetal heamoglobin die, ones with normal heamoglobin take their place. I'm not sure what triggers it, I think it's to do with genetics.
People say I'm insane. I reply: One way of defining insane is something that isn't normal. Since everyone is different, no one is normal, so EVERYONE is insane.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:17 pm

It is genetically regulated for sure, but the pathway would be nice to know...