I need notes

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

cool A-level student
Death Adder
Death Adder

I need notes

Post by cool A-level student » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:44 am

How do we know what we know?
-Gregor Mendel
-Rosalind Franklin
-Sanger
-Watson and Crick (double helix)
-Beadle and Tatum
-DNA profiling and fingerprinting

who? when? science? context?

cool A-level student
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by cool A-level student » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:56 am

got it all now
if any1 needs these notes say and ill post em later on

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:54 pm

Who are those guys? Rosalind Franklin, Beadle and Tatum, Sanger ... Never heard of them. Heared something about that Mendel dude...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:02 pm

-Rosalind Franklin goes with watson and crick since she was working in the imperial college team that took the X-ray diffraction images that allowed Watson and Crick to devise their structure.

-Sanger, he has 2 nobel prizes (chemistry and Physiology medicine) he came up with the protein and nucleid acid sequencing (dideoxy, the one still used now with improvement in sequencers) methods

-Beadle and Tatum, I found this

-DNA profiling and fingerprinting, doing that all day on bacteria How boring!
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Terry K.
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Terry K. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:54 pm

Also, I think Rosalind Franklin was denied the patent to her work because she was a woman and watson and crick got the credit and were even put up for a nobel prize, whether they got the nobel, not sure, but I do know she was scammed out of her brilliant work only because she was a woman
Saying that any two humans are exactly alike is like saying republicans have morals

Terry K.
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Terry K. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:57 pm

oh, forgot to mention, ever heard of the Mendelian Ratio? It is huge in genetics and will always be a huge factor in human genotyping. He came up with the 3:1 ratio for phenotypes in a Punnett Square cross between 2 heterozygous individuals for a trait other than one that is sex linked, and also came up with the 1:2:1 ratio of genotypes of the same situation. If you don't know much about Gregor Mendel, you should bone up on it.
Saying that any two humans are exactly alike is like saying republicans have morals

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:58 pm

Really? So he was important in genetics?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:12 pm

MrMistery wrote:Really? So he was important in genetics?

Not at all since his results were independantly rediscovered a while later. But at least he was given credit for them, unlike R. Franklin.

You have a lot to study to prepare for the IBO I see Andrew, you really seem to need new memory chips inserted between you ears :wink:
Patrick

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:15 pm

Me, learn about Mendel? If he were alive today, he should be learning about me! He was just a priest who liked to eat peas...

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:17 pm

MrMistery wrote:Me, learn about Mendel? If he were alive today, he should be learning about me! He was just a priest who liked to eat peas...

Mixing science and good food a dream. I have to say that working with bacteria do not encourage you to eat the final results of your experience, even prepared, while peas....mhhh :roll:
Patrick

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:21 pm

Hmm... I want to work in cellular biology and/or molecular genetics so i might have something to eat...

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:25 pm

MrMistery wrote:Hmm... I want to work in cellular biology and/or molecular genetics so i might have something to eat...

Plant biology is the way to go. Most of my labs is working on plants, and in season we can share the some of the experiment results (corn, pumpkin, asparagus, peaches, apples, eggplants...). But food technology/chemistry can be quite interesting. Reading an articles where they study foam stability in champagne or beer on 5ml samples, you can't help wondering what they do with the rest of the bottle ;)
Patrick