Favorite Microbe

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

deenteen
Garter
Garter

Post by deenteen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:33 am

usually on yoplait, they only mention one type of bacteria and on commercials, they dont mention any. at least not that ive seen.
Truth is light.
Light is the absence of darkness.
The absence of darkness is the absence of evil.
Truth is one.
Truth is divine.
Truth is Allah.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:40 am

MrMistery wrote:Well, you are the expert in these little guys.. By the way, in the comercial, they say L. casei imunitas and never Lactobacillus, maybe they did a survey and more simple-minded people don't like to hear that they are eating these little guys

Or simply guys in the advertisement know nothing about correct bacterial nomenclature, picked up the shortest (easiest to remember) name they could find on documentation fed to them by the research department and used it.

@Deenteen
Yoplait may be using pure culture of only one species to make their yoghurt. That make the taste more constant, but there is more than one species of bacteria that can make yoghurt.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

amoebapower
Death Adder
Death Adder

favorite microbe

Post by amoebapower » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:36 pm

arcella gibbosa is one tight microbe! protists all the way! E. Coli is pretty nifty too

jesstickle
Garter
Garter

Post by jesstickle » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:55 pm

can I vote for streptomyces. It smells nice!

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:53 am

amoebapower said:
arcella gibbosa is one tight microbe! protists all the way!

Here, Here! I agree :D There are so many that I find it hard to chose just one. However testate ameba are quite interesting and beautiful. The Arcella spp. (spp meaning many species) below, probably A. vulgaris 30-100um (um=microns), was photographed using a Zeiss Axiostar equipped with a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera. If it were not automatically resized the pseudopodia and epipodia of the amoeba could be seen much better. A. gibbosa is a favorite because of the clear test, allowing one to see the amoeba inside. :D Although most tests are light orange or brown, they too will allow you to see the amoeba inside. As time goes by though, the tests become darker, almost a brownish black and little if any detail of the amoeba can be seen. :(
Attachments
A00069 Arcella.jpg
(50.09 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

amoebapower
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by amoebapower » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:25 pm

what does ebola do to you? i like to research viruses and im looking for some opinions

amoebapower
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by amoebapower » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:27 pm

thanx ken for showing the picture. amoebas are funny little creatures aren't they? :wink:

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:34 pm

amoebapower wrote:
thanx ken for showing the picture. amoebas are funny little creatures aren't they? :wink:

Yes they are but they are absolutely amazing in their morphology and physiology. Though a single cell of slowely moving protoplasm, if you study them enough you will begin to develop a greater appreciation not only for them but for other protozoa as well. I find the Vorticella one of the most beautiful and interesting, of the microscopic animals too. :D

As for the photograph. "Thank You", you are quite welcome. :D
Western North Carolina
Ken's Nature Study

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:42 pm

amoebapower wrote:what does ebola do to you? i like to research viruses and im looking for some opinions

What I know is....Ebola virus is classified into Filoviridae subfamily (Filo <=> filament). The structure is thin and long like a thread. This is a dangerous virus und require a biosecurity level 4 in the lab. Nowadays, scientist is observing how ebola get spreaded...one theory is the virus use a arthropod vectors so Filoviridae would also get into Arboviridae family.
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

Inuyasha
Coral
Coral

Post by Inuyasha » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:58 pm

lol, i can't believe this chat is still going on.
Ty Guo
pronounced tiger

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:10 am

Victor said:
This is a dangerous virus und require a biosecurity level 4 in the lab.

Learn something new every day. :D I always thought the virus was a level 5 but what do I know. I look at protozoa all day long. :roll: The closest pathogen I have ever encountered on purpose has been a level 2 organism which will take you out in about 72hrs. However it is not a contagious organism but an infectious one that occurs naturally in our close environment as do many others. :)
Western North Carolina
Ken's Nature Study

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:45 am

Um, that's based on the book I read...so, different sources can cause different details also...I really like viruses but unfortunately my faculty don't have any virology subject...so like it or not, I've to learn it by myself....:mrgreen:
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.