I have to write an essay!

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:52 pm

I asked a biochemist about Atkins diet, and that was what she said: "never ever, even think of that!!! are you trying to have a bad metabolism? The diet makes nearly all the levels in the blood get strange."
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:40 pm

Yes it is an incredibly bad diet. People taking it have no idea how their methabolism works. I know someone who went on that diet even if i and his doctor advised her against it. She did lose 15 pounds, but now has to take pills so her heart will function normally...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:29 pm

yes, you lose weight together with your health.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

liveblackcrayon
Garter
Garter

Post by liveblackcrayon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:19 pm

We're working on the Biochemistry unit in Bio now, and we happened to start talking about the Atkins diet in class... apparently consuming excess protein can cause toxic chemicals to build up in your kidneys, or something like that. :shock: That's a little scary. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Atkins overweight?

Avalbane
Garter
Garter

Re: I have to write an essay!

Post by Avalbane » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:09 pm

pbstudent07 wrote:Hey everyone, I soon have to complete an essay on carbohydrates. This wouldn't be a problem, BUT it has to be a 6 to 10 pager, and my book has only given me about 3.5 pages of notes, and so far, all of the internet sites has given me the same information that I already have. Can anyone recomend a good site to get more information off of? If so, I would really appriciate it. Thank You :wink:

http://www.medical-library.net/sites/framer.html?/sites/carbohydrates_in_nutrition.html

Poison wrote:yes, you lose weight together with your health.

Isn't that true. My mom went on that diet, even though my Grandmother, a biology teacher, and I told her that it wasn't healthy. She went through with it anyway, and she's still having intestinal problems.
A beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig's snout.