Study guide question

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mikki
Garter
Garter

Study guide question

Post by mikki » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:01 pm

How is cellular energy released from glucose stored? Is it through a process called glycolysis?

In what order do these phases of cellular respiration occur: Electron transport chain, glycolysis, Krebs cycle and where in the cell do they occur? Does glycolysis happen in the cytoysol and then the krebs cycle occurs, follwed by the electron transport chain which both occur in the mitochondria?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: Study guide question

Post by canalon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:14 pm

mikki wrote:How is cellular energy released from glucose stored? Is it through a process called glycolysis?

In what order do these phases of cellular respiration occur: Electron transport chain, glycolysis, Krebs cycle and where in the cell do they occur? Does glycolysis happen in the cytoysol and then the krebs cycle occurs, follwed by the electron transport chain which both occur in the mitochondria?

1- yes and no. See the definition in our dictionnary
2- Once again use our dictionnary (or the search function on the forum) and you will probably be able to figure out te answer. If you have anymore questions come again and tell us what you do not understand, we will gladly help

And by searching for your answers you will have learned something. That is what homeworks are about...
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Erised
Garter
Garter

Post by Erised » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:41 pm

mikki wrote:How is cellular energy released from glucose stored? Is it through a process called glycolysis?

Canalon's right. This is a question to which I am 99.9% sure is every biology book has an answer to.

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:34 pm

Well thank you for patronizing me, but I didn't simply just ask the question without giving you a suspected answer. All I was asking was if my answer was correct. Yes, I did use the dictionary within this website, it was the third place I checked. First was my text book, second was my class notes, third http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary.asp and fourth was my post. I am not a child looking for someone to give me the answer without first looking for them myself, I have looked. All I want is confirmation. Sorry for getting crappy but I hate it when people are condesending just because they may be better at something than the others seeking help.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:41 pm

"Sorry for getting crappy but I hate it when people are" ... just posting their Homework and hope that we will give them a complete answer. Which is quite common here. So...

If you already had a pretty good idea of the answer ans are looking for confirmation, giving us your answer, and pointing out your doubts would have shown us that you indeed went through the research procedur, we will then have gladly given all necessary explanations and/or confirmation needed.
Patrick

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:46 pm

After every question I answer it but I do so in the form of a question. Kind of like we are playing Jeporady(sp?). Is the answer glycolysis Alex?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:54 pm

mikki wrote:After every question I answer it but I do so in the form of a question. Kind of like we are playing Jeporady(sp?). Is the answer glycolysis Alex?

1-Again yes and no. Yes because this is the beginning of the answer, no because ... this is just the begining and the rest is quite important. This is wher I want to highlight a part from the definition of glycolysis in our dictionnary:

"The first stage of cellular respiration where glucose is converted into two molecules of pyruvic acid. In aerobic respiration, this pyruvic acid enters the Kreb's cycle while during anaerobic respiration, the pyruvic acid is made though cannot enter the Kreb's cycle, and produces a net gain of 2 ATP from one glucose molecule."

Get it?

2- For the rest I will point you to one of our tutorials on celle biology, the part about cell respiration

With that you can probably answer to all the questions you had
Patrick

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:26 am

Yes I am familiar with cellular respiration in anaerobic and aerobic conditions. I believe I posted on the topic under "potential energy". See it wasn't that hard to just tell me I need to elaborate on the topic a little more so that I included all circumstances/conditions.

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:28 am

cool A-level student
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by cool A-level student » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:30 pm

if u want a good book to study from buy a Tortora, its big but is very useful!
either that or just ask these guys who are way smarter than i am

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:40 pm

mikki wrote:Yes I am familiar with cellular respiration in anaerobic and aerobic conditions. I believe I posted on the topic under "potential energy". See it wasn't that hard to just tell me I need to elaborate on the topic a little more so that I included all circumstances/conditions.

Hey, if you don't tell what you need we can't guess it. We are usually not that smart. So as I told you if you want to be confirmed in your results tell taht you get this answer, and want to know if you didn't make any mistakes. That would be great. Now, you post questions looking just as Homework and don't show us that you already worked on it, sorry but you'll get the standard "do your homeworks first" answer. And in my first post I was already trying to hint you that your answers may not be complete (hence "Yes and No"...)
And good for you that you already had a post about that, but as a matter of fact I don not usually check all the posts of a poster before replying to him!
Patrick

mikki
Garter
Garter

Post by mikki » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:04 pm

You are a true born diplomat aren't you?