bread??

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hunny
Garter
Garter

bread??

Post by hunny » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:16 am

we need to use yeast to bake bread, right? but in certain time, the bread will expired. and there is something like green or black color on the bread.. what is that?? and where it come from? yeast or enviroment effect..[/quote]

deenteen
Garter
Garter

Post by deenteen » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:33 am

i think wat u mean is the mold. wen bread is exposed to the air, the spores present in the air attach to the bread and the moisture in the air, along with the warm temperature, and the provided food(bread) promote the growth of mold. and also, bread is very porous, so that also promotes the growth of mold and allows it to spread. eating moldy bread can make you sick, so itz best to throw the whole thing away because the growth spreads throughout the bread. :D
Truth is light.
Light is the absence of darkness.
The absence of darkness is the absence of evil.
Truth is one.
Truth is divine.
Truth is Allah.

deenteen
Garter
Garter

Post by deenteen » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:34 am

also mold is a fungi, n yeast itself is a fungi, so it doesnt really cause mold to grow. it is mostly affected by the environment.
Truth is light.
Truth is one.
Truth is divine.
Truth is Allah.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:09 pm

Correct! Penicilium, Aspergillus and company grow very easily on bread, as it is almost pure sugar! And it is also true that they produce nasty toxins, so it is not safe to eat them even if they are not parazytes
Now, for you to understand better, yeast is only used for baking bread because in the course of alcoholic fermentation, yeast produces CO2, which makes the bread grow. The yeast dies when the bread is cooked.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

deenteen
Garter
Garter

Post by deenteen » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:45 pm

thats rite. n since the co2 causes bubbles to form, thoses bubbles make the bread porous.
Truth is light.
Truth is one.
Truth is divine.
Truth is Allah.

hunny
Garter
Garter

erm..

Post by hunny » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:04 pm

and if u want to know... i'd made an experiment which bread will the mold grow first. and the results is the bread that had yeasts inside it... what do you think???

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:34 pm

I don't understand what you mean... Could you make it more clear? I am not a native english speaker..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

deenteen
Garter
Garter

Post by deenteen » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:50 pm

wait, so you want to put yeast in bread and let it mold?[/u]
Truth is light.
Truth is one.
Truth is divine.
Truth is Allah.

hunny
Garter
Garter

expriment..

Post by hunny » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:05 am

okey...i made experiment: i baked two bread myself. one of the bread i put yeasts and the other one i didn't put yeasts...all the method were same..the weight of flour,sugar and water.. and now almost 12 days and the mold grow on the bread that had yeasts...now, i'm so confuse because i don't know how it can be..how yeasts reproduce?? i just wanna know all about yeasts...what yeasts eat..their activities...everything about them that can explain about the bread...huh..hope u clear..and thanks.. :D

Navin
Coral
Coral

Post by Navin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:41 am

Shouldn't the yeast die when the bread was baked in the oven?

Another thing, one dough you prepared without yeast, so it didn't rise right?
Botany is the study of what? Bottoms!

hunny
Garter
Garter

without yeasts...

Post by hunny » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:56 am

yup..without yeast the bread didn't rise. but if yeasts die..it didn't effect the bread rite..means..the mold will not grow early than the bread without yeasts..the mold will grow together in the same day..maybe???so..what can we conclude??why the bread with yeasts was damage first?? :?

hunny
Garter
Garter

Post by hunny » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:28 pm

i think...the reason of why the mold grow first on the bread with yeasts is because of the process of fermentation...the products that are co2 and ethanol in the bread that make it damage.. erm, how about biscuits?? i think they still use yeasts and also they can last longer than bread...because of they dry...rite?? so, any comments about my impression...
whEre iS de lOvE..??
lOvE iS viRgiNaL...