Lab on cell membrane help

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

needhelp1234
Garter
Garter

Lab on cell membrane help

Post by needhelp1234 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:11 pm

I need someone to answer these questions I need them fast my exam is 2morrow and im gona fail!!!
1. Experimental design: discuss the technical aspects of any lab exercise performed this term. This is not the same as lab procedure.
What are technical aspects? Like in any lab what would it be?

2. Describe with the aid of three (3) diagrams how the structure (design) of the cell membrane is determined by the nature of its constituents

3. The nature and location of chloroplasts in photosynthetic organisms is a result of their environment. Discuss.

4. Diagram how cells transport materials across the plasma membrane.

chicoguardian
Coral
Coral

Post by chicoguardian » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:09 pm

can you give any diagrams and specifics on this so i know what parts of the membrane you are going on about... if you can do that, I may be able to help.
Life is not of comedy but tragedy, life lives and then dies in sorrow

Geordie Boy
Garter
Garter

Post by Geordie Boy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:22 pm

Q1 I have no idea what that means, perhaps it means preparation of instruments or solutions and risk assessment.

Q2. I cant draw you a diagram but the main thing here would be the lipid bi-layer. They are arranged how they are because on both sides of the cell membrane are aqueous environments. So the water loving heads have to face out and the water hating tails have to face in.

Q3 is a mystery i don't know dick about plants

Q4 That is just diffusion, facilitated diffusion and osmosis. look them up on wikipedia.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:28 pm

Q3, basically talk about leaves and difference between plants with palisade layer and undifferentiated mesophylls. Might also include discussion on photosynthetic stems(cacti) and photosynthetic roots.
Q4. In addition to geordie's comments, also includes active transport.

Good luck on your exam
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:51 pm

Yeap, and under active transport you have primary active transport and secondary active transport. Be sure to mention the ATP bining cassete. Teachers have a thing for it
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter