plasma membrane

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kyky
Garter
Garter

plasma membrane

Post by kyky » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Hey, im new, but i need a deeper understanding of plasmolysis, isotonic, hypertonic, hypotonic, concentration gradient and transport proteins of the plasma membrane of a cell.

Pictures would help!!

thanx

smiley
Garter
Garter

Post by smiley » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:05 am

First of all, concentration gradient is the change in concentration from one area to another. An isotonic solution has the same concentrations of solute and solvent (water) as the cell, so there is no net change of water into or out of the cell. A hypertonic solution has a lower concentration of water than the cell, therefore there is a net movement of water OUT of the cell (from a higher concentration to a lower concentration - osmosis) and so the cell shrinks. The shrinking of the cell is called crenation in animal cells, and plasmolysis in plant cells. A hypotonic solution has a higher concentration of water than the cell, therefore there is a net movement of water INTO the cell (higher concentration to lower) and so the cell expands or bursts. This is called lysis for animal cells. For plant cells this expansion increases the turgor pressure of the cell and keeps the plant erect. Hope that helps with the first part of your question!

thank.darwin
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by thank.darwin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:33 am

Just look at the sites in the second post in this link...

about3323.html

:D
No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.
-Albert Einstein

burningredphoenix
Garter
Garter

Post by burningredphoenix » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:07 am

kyky, are u a student at a school, if so why not read the textbooks.