DIfference between pcr and vector

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

rinchan
Garter
Garter

DIfference between pcr and vector

Post by rinchan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:09 am

Is there any difference between pcr and amplified vectors that results they produce? do not they have the same function-- amplification?

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:38 pm

well, with PCR you will mutliply a DNA-dequence of interest using different temperatures at which a specific step occurs

--> reproductionvectors are plasmid-DNAs with a DNA-clone of interest that is multiplied by the replicationsysteme of the host.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:13 pm

And the big difference is taht you have to have your fragment already cloned into the vector, which may not be easy if you cannot amplify it with PCR (and I know what I am talking about, I am trying to do just that for one of my projects), while for PCR you just need flanking sequence, and it's much faster thatgrowing bacteria (1 or 2 hours usually versus 24h, if you are lucky)
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

rinchan
Garter
Garter

Post by rinchan » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:57 pm

hello,Canalon,I know what you say,but what I want to know is that they can switch each other?

rinchan
Garter
Garter

Post by rinchan » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm

By the way,Canalon,what do you do? could you leave your email? I am from China. ^_^

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:17 pm

rinchan wrote:hello,Canalon,I know what you say,but what I want to know is that they can switch each other?

Well it depends on what you want to do. If you have an already cloned fragment and want to play with it (change vector, dissect, sequence it, whatever), you can use whatever method suits you. Now diagnosis, gene detection an all this kind of application can only be made by PCR. And as I have said, for some applications the cloning is can do things that PCR can't.
So without more detail there is no definite answer to your question.
Patrick

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:20 pm

rinchan wrote:By the way,Canalon,what do you do? could you leave your email? I am from China. ^_^

There is a short bio if you click on the Forum rules... and to email me, just click on the PM or email button at the bottom of any of my post, includng this one.
Patrick