Comparing Mitosis and Meiosis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

alexmandarino
Garter
Garter

Comparing Mitosis and Meiosis

Post by alexmandarino » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:51 am

I'm kind of confused as to what the difference is between Mitosis and Meiosis. The names sound alike, and the different functions (for me) are not understood.

How does the number of chromosomes in the daugher cell compare to the chromosomes in the parent ?

How many daugher cells are produced in Mitosis and Meiosis ?

There is also variation, which I have no idea what that is, or how meiosis leads to it.

I'd appreciate any help on these questions.

Thanks,
Alex

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:23 am

in mitosis, there should be chromosomes which duplicate its hand so that 1 chromosome become chromatide (have four brances, a chromosome only has two).
at metaphase, the chromatides are at one line, and so that at anaphase (centrosome are duplicates), the dougter cell has the same chromosomes as the parent.

in meiosis, chromosomes will "evolve" to be chromatides. then at metaphase, those chromatides are make two line. so that, the doughters cell only have half of the parents.
(this is not the detail.... to type it .... to much...)

try this...(he..he...)
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultran ... iosis.html

so many more information that u can get out side there.. from the book, internet.. and THIS FORUM

EmmVeePee
Coral
Coral

Post by EmmVeePee » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:42 am

Mitosis and Meiosis are very different.

Mitosis duplicated the cells DNA and then split to form 2 daughter cells with duplicate copies of each chromosome (46 in humans).

Meiosis duplicated the DNA once, splits, then splits again. The result is 4 daughter cells with 1 copy of each chromosome (23 chromosomes total in humans).

"n" is given as the variable for the number of unique chromosomes in a cell. n=23 in humans. Cells with n chromosomes are known as Haploid. Cells with 2n chromosomes are known as Diploid. Haploid cells can also be gametes (sperm or eggs in humans). When these two gametes/haploids fuse together, the result is a diploid cell (2n) called a Zygote.

Basically Mitosis is used for cells to replicate and Meiosis is used for the organism to reproduce.
Greg
Undergraduate, Microbiology
Pennsylvania State University