Golgi

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Sinead Ryan
Garter
Garter

Golgi

Post by Sinead Ryan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Could any one give me a breif, SIMPLE discription of the golgi apparatus in a plant cell including function.
Any and all help appreciated
Sinead xxx :)

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:22 pm

It's the processing center. it packs, labels, and modifies proteins.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:38 pm

And according to even biology books, it kinda looks like a stack of pancackes =)

thank.darwin
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by thank.darwin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:23 am

My teacher describes them as pieta pockets :D
No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.
-Albert Einstein

robotics
Garter
Garter

Post by robotics » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:57 am

The golgi in plants is the same as the golgi in animals, it serves the same function.

You can think of it as your local post office. It takes proteins that are made after it translates mRNA, and ships them off to all the cells that need it. The golgi apparatus itself is something along the lines of a flattened stack of membranes. Do NOT confuse them with thylakoid membranes, those are in chloroplasts and are of green pigments.

The golgi appartus has a double membrane just like the ER and PM. It is also divided into cis and trans sections accord to its position and orientation in a cell.

Sinead Ryan
Garter
Garter

Post by Sinead Ryan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:14 pm

It takes in proteins that are made where??? or by what organelle??? the mitochondrion??

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:40 pm

By the ribosomes on the rough ER

robotics
Garter
Garter

Post by robotics » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:26 am

Mitochondria is just the powerhouse of the cell. Think of it as the place where most of your ATP is made, via cellular respiration.

There's a smooth ER, and a rough ER, and as biostudent said, a rough ER is "rough" because it has ribosomes on its exterior.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:35 pm

I'm sorry if I am wrong about anything... Bio is more than a hobby than a job to me. Also would like to apologise if i missspell words: I'm from Romania :D :D
Now, from what I know the golji aparatus doesn't transport only proteins: the majority of things inside the cell that are not native to it are stored in vacola, which is what the golgi aparatus produces. This includes a wide variety of things, such as glucose in the orange, metabolic produces and so on. In plants, for example it is said that a small amont of the water+mineral salts that is absorbed by the root crosses the cellular walls and crosses from cell to cell inside vacola on it's way to the transporting system(which, by the way: how is it called in English?)

If I'm wrong, please tell me :)

Andre2k5
Garter
Garter

hey

Post by Andre2k5 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:49 am

As everyone said earlier, the golgi functions just the same as in animals. However, how materials reach the Golgi is an entirely different matter. I will expound on what MrMistery pointed out. In plants, water+minerals travel through a series of cell walls which collectivley are called the "apoplast." The water+minerals can also travel through a series of cytoplasms collectivley called the "smyplast." In the smyplast, water, minerals, and any other materials can enter the cytoplasm via vacuoles and proceed to golgi. Everyone before me explained the golgi's function so, you know what happens then. I hope that helped ! :)

Nick
Garter
Garter

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:42 am

Golgi Apparatus
-The golgi apparatus functions in the collection, packaging, and distribution of molecules synthesized elsewhere in the cell eg Rough ER
- Almost all the polysaccharide in cells is manufactured within the Golgi apparatus
- The polysaccharide may be attached to either protein or lipid molecules in the Golgi stacks

A short way to explain it is that the golgi makes another membrane around the vesicle which are transported into it.

protozoan
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by protozoan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:59 pm

Proteins which are synthetised on the surface of the ER, are then injected to the cystern of ER. From these cystern of ER vesicles are separated (which are filled with proteins meant above), these vesicles are called transport vesicles and they transport its material to the proximal side of Golgi apratus, there are proteins modified as meant in previous messages. These proteins are then through vesicles separated from distal side of GA and are used as enzymes for lyzozomes, or for secretory function though exocytosis, or as material for cell's surfaces.