Buying cheap fruits and vegetables

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:33 am

Mixing organic as in "organic chemistry" and organic as in "organic food" (ie. grown without or with very limited chemical inputs) was pointing a flaw in this name. Not that it is better in french where we use "biological" for "organic", rather meaningless too (can you imagine non biological fruits or animals :shocked:).

As for the nutritional value of organic vs Non-organic it is still a hot debate between different groups. As far as I am concerned, I've had bad tasting (or rather bland tasting) fruits and veggies from both organic and non organic source. But meat is usually much better when I can afford it.

I would say that the most important is to have a balanced diet with as much diversity in fruits and vegetables as possible, and if doing so, choose whatever you want/can between organic and non organic products.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:49 pm

Ooooh! Looks like my english is not that good! Sorry... I guess it's because the teachers are on strike i haven't been to school for 3 weeks :)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter