Red blood cells and osmosis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Starlight189
Death Adder
Death Adder

Red blood cells and osmosis

Post by Starlight189 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Ok I've answered a question worth 3 marks. I'd like to know whether you think it is enough to get all 3 marks or not.

Question
Red blood cells of mammals respond to changes in the concentration of salts in the fluid that surrounds them. If they are placed in a solution that has a lower concentration of salts than blood plasma, they swell and may burst. This bursting is known as haemolysis.

Explain why red blood cells may burst when they are placed in a solution that has a lower concentration of salts than blood plasma.

My Answer
A lower concentration of salts means a higher concentration of water. Red blood cells burst in a dilute solution as there is a net movement of water molecules into the cell via osmosis but no cell wall to restrict it.
Last edited by Starlight189 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 pm

yeap that's basically it. but i think even with a cell wall present bursting is possible. look at plants. they developed hidatods to prevent this.
PS: through in words like "aquaporins" to impress the teacher ;)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Starlight189
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Starlight189 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:15 pm

I have no idea what aquaporins are :lol:, I'll go look it up. But thankyou very much :-D

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:20 pm

aquaporins are the main structures responsabile for transporting water in and out of the cell. they are protein channels. a relative new discovery in the field, the nobel prise for chemistry was given for their discovery in 2003. Don't they teach you this kind of stuff at AP bio?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Starlight189
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Starlight189 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:35 pm

Heh..nope...they probably should but my bio teacher who we did this topic with (I have 2 bio teachers) is next to hopeless, I go to a girl's school that's joined with a boy's school but some lessons in sixth form are mixed. This teacher is from the boys' school and hates girls, he hates newcomers too come to that. :(

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:44 pm

sorry about that. well, you could always try the old-fashion way and read a book

Starlight189
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Starlight189 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Reading's great :-D, I don't usually read biology text books in bed but I'll give it a go tonight, mmm bed -night ;-)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:50 pm

I never could read before going to sleep. i fall asleep in 2 minutes

Starlight189
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Starlight189 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:56 pm

Lucky you..I take ages to fall asleep.