Phagocytosis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

blackmangoes
Garter
Garter

Post by blackmangoes » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:03 am

Yup Yup. I know that they are taken in and fused with lysosome ....

so what is the difference between phagocytosis and receptor mediated phagocytosis.

My text book said, there are three types of endocytosis: pinocytosis, phagocytosis, and receptor mediated phagocytosis. And the definiteion it gives for phagocytosis and receptor mediated phaogcytosis are nearly identitcal.

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:05 pm

It is not receptor mediated "phagocytosis" (at least in my book), It is receptor mediated "endocytosis".
For your question about the difference, blackmangoes, read my previous post. I tried to explain the difference. :)
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

blackmangoes
Garter
Garter

Post by blackmangoes » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:48 am

For those that care about this question. Here is the answer

This figure diagrams the major internalization events. In the two views on the right, receptors are not needed for internalization. During phagocytosis, cells may simply internalize particles or cells, like bacteria (cell eating). In the second, called pinocytosis, cells internalize soluble material (cell drinking). In both types of internalization, the cells extend processes and bring cells or soluble material into the cell in a vacuole. In the presentation on lysosomes , we learned that the vacuole formed in the cell by phagocytosis or pinocytosis often became a lysosome after hydrolases were brought to it and the pH was adjusted. The vacuoles formed are called phagosomes or macropinosomes. This cartoon was taken from Endocytosis, Edited by Ira Pastan and Mark C. Willingham, Plenum Press, N.Y., 1985

Endosomes are formed by receptor-mediated endocytosis. In this case, cells bring in proteins and other types of ligands attached to the plasma membrane via receptors. The process depends first on specific binding to the receptor, which is a subject worthy of a lecture in itself. This figure shows this process as "coated pit endocytosis". The coated pit is a specialized region of the membrane that is coated with clathrin (for stability, to aid the transport process). The coated pit forms a coated vesicle and then loses its clathrin coat. It then joins with other coated pits to form a receptosome.

taken from http://cellbio.utmb.edu/cellbio/recend.htm

burningredphoenix
Garter
Garter

Post by burningredphoenix » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:59 am

Easy, receptor mediated designates certain molecules ; phagocytosis does not