Athletes / cellular respiration

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Rachael
Garter
Garter

Athletes / cellular respiration

Post by Rachael » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:32 pm

Alright, so I have this project in science. I need to know, can athletes do more situps before their cells switch from aerobic to anaerobic celular respiration?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:12 pm

do you mean if they can do more situps running on aerobic respiration or anaerobic one?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Leesa
Garter
Garter

Post by Leesa » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:11 am

I believe anaerobic, as they are only doing situps. For instance an athlete who runs 200m runs anaerobically, as it is for short, sharp bursts. If you're doing a sit up, it doesn't neccessarily make you get out of breath. After the anaerobic system has run out, the lactic acid system kicks in, which prevents the lactic acid build up in the muscles, and prevents them from getting sore. These two strategies are ways in which an athlete can perform sit ups, without becoming fatigued, anaerobically.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:07 pm

what is lactic acid system?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Terry K.
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Terry K. » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:20 pm

The lactic acid system is just the body's response to fatigue. When you use energy, endorphins kick in and go to the muscle. I think the endorphins then break down and react with something else present there because lactic acid just appears out of the blue. The body then goes to work and tries to expel the lactic acid from the body to help the muscles perform appropriately. That is, in a nut shell, the lactic acid system. If I made any mistakes, prompt my work and post the corrections. Hope it helps.
Saying that any two humans are exactly alike is like saying republicans have morals

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:11 pm

Doesn't lactic acid form in lactic fermentation when there is insufficient oxygen in the blood? And doesn't your body get rid of it by oxidising it back to piruvic acid and starting the krebs cycle?