Oxygen in aquatic organisms...

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Aerlinn
Death Adder
Death Adder

Oxygen in aquatic organisms...

Post by Aerlinn » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:00 pm

Why do organisms need to take in oxygen? Is it because they need it along with glucose to synthesise ATP for cellular respiration? Is there anything else to the question?

Also, I have trouble with this: Rate of movement of exygen can be represented by the equation:
R= (A x C) / D
R= Rate of movement
A= area of the gill membrane
C= the difference in concentration of oxygen on either side of the membrane
D= thickness of membrane
Using this information, what are the characteristicss of the gill that ensure its success as a respiratory surface?

The wonders of so-called life...

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:04 pm

In chemistry side..Oxygen is known as combuster or Oxydator agent. So, it Oxydizes the carbon chain group into the smaller one to provide us with energy which is resulted through those biochemical reaction.
The success of respiratory maybe for me, it can be reffered to mathematics equation.
R = AC/D
so, to get a bigger R, you have to reduct the D or increase either A or C. But since the A tends to be in fixed number and C always change, so the alternative is depend on the how big is D...
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:16 pm

not only that. the secret of the guils is also in the perpendicular flow of blood over water(so the C will be maximum). that is why guils can extract over 80% of the oxygen present in water. also, take note that the membrane is very large, so the A is also very big
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter