Egg white & pancreatic extract...

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Aerlinn
Death Adder
Death Adder

Egg white & pancreatic extract...

Post by Aerlinn » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:54 pm

I have trouble with this question: An experiment was set up. 5g of hard boiled egg white was placed in 3 test tubes and covered with equal volumes of dilute pancreatic extract. Test tube one was left as is, a few drops of dilute hydorchloric acid was added to test tube two, and sodium carbonate solution, which is sligghtly alkaline, was added to test tube three. A few crystals of theymol was also added to prvent bacterial growth. The test tubes were examined after four days, the remaining egg whites were weighed... For test tube one, there was 4g egg white remaining, test tube two, 5g and test tube three, there was a clear solution, no egg white. What type of substance is egg white? What chemical is present in pancreatic extract that would have an effect in test tube one? What conclusion can be drawn?

Would anyone be able to help me?
The wonders of so-called life...

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:42 pm

Your experiment was about protein digestion.
Egg white is composed of proteins, mostly albumin, a basic common protein.
Pancreatic juice is composed of enzymes i.e. proteases especially trypsin and chymotrypsin, pancreatic lipase, and amilase. It also contains bicarbonate.
Pancreatic juice work properly at body temperature and basic (alkaline) environment, but it still able to do its job in normal environment (pH 7).

Now you draw the conclusion... ;)