Biology terms

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kassia420
Garter
Garter

Biology terms

Post by kassia420 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:32 pm

I'm just confused as to what the following things are:

-nitrogen fixing nodules
-photosynth
-chemosynth

I thought that maybe photo and chemosynth was referring to organisms that perform photosynthesis and chemosynthesis, but autotrophs are the only organisms that perform both, so as you can see I'm really confused, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:47 pm

nitrogen fixing nodules- form on the root of legume plants at the invasion of nitrogen fixing bacteria(Rhizobium leguminosarum). while some authors say that the nodules are some form of defense of the plant some say that they are very big regions of bacteria
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

chetanladdha
Garter
Garter

Re: Biology terms

Post by chetanladdha » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:38 am

kassia420 wrote:I'm just confused as to what the following things are:

-nitrogen fixing nodules
-photosynth
-chemosynth

I thought that maybe photo and chemosynth was referring to organisms that perform photosynthesis and chemosynthesis, but autotrophs are the only organisms that perform both, so as you can see I'm really confused, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

hey,, i think photosynth and chemosynth are just 2 types of autotrophes only...

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:39 pm

Yes that is correct. I didn't read the first post carefully. There are some organisms(plants!) that perform photosynthesis and some that perform chemosynthesis(some bacteria and most Archea)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

weasteam
Garter
Garter

Post by weasteam » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:38 am

MrMistery wrote:nitrogen fixing nodules- form on the root of legume plants at the invasion of nitrogen fixing bacteria(Rhizobium leguminosarum). while some authors say that the nodules are some form of defense of the plant some say that they are very big regions of bacteria

well, i do not agree with some of your points.
i think modules provide nitrogen fixing bacteria a nonoxygen environment, because no nitrogen will be fixed if oxygen is exist. what's more, these two organisms are syngenetic, they give benefits to each other, and the environment is one of the benefits the plant for the bacteria.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:59 pm

Hey, i didn't make the discovery, i got it from a book. From what i understand of my study of mutualistic symbiosis is that it always starts as a parazytic symbiosis and then an equilibrium is reached...