New embryonic stem cell possibility?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Brooks
Garter
Garter

New embryonic stem cell possibility?

Post by Brooks » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:42 pm

I have been reading on government sites, and other databases such as InfoTrac and Proquest that there are some interesting new possibilities. Producing ESC using a method that does not interfere with the developmental potential of the embryo. Apparently some researchers have shown that atleast in mice, taking earlier blastomere cells grown along side other embryonic cells, they have been able to generate all cell types of the body.

Another approach, is to grow stem cells that are the exact tissue type of the patient through nuclear transfer. Taking an adult skin cell's nucleus and injecting it into a human egg which had its genetic material removed, which is then tricked into becoming an embryo.

They go on to report how injecting a molecule known as Cdx2 into an adult cell disables it's capacity to grow a placenta, impairing it's ability to survive in a uterus. They later unblocked the gene in the stem cells so they would function normally

I have really just begun to research ES cells, maybe this is old news, but I had not heard of it.

One of the sites can be found here
http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=921061041&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=2614&RQT=309&VName=PQD

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:59 pm

It sounds like it would take a lot of work to do so. Also...it would still be attacked by the fundamentalist groups because technically it will be an embryo...

Brooks
Garter
Garter

Post by Brooks » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:09 am

I agree, Regaurdless of any new progress the researchers make, it will likely never fully overcome all of the speculation.