problems on Ecology

Discussion of the distribution and abundance of living organisms and how these properties are affected by interactions between the organisms and their environment

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Alteisen
Garter
Garter

problems on Ecology

Post by Alteisen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:08 pm

I don't know what is Ecological Pyramids, why energy is loss when one animal eat another one.
And what is the highest limited of trophic level?

Navin
Coral
Coral

Post by Navin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:00 am

There can only be up to 5 trophic levels in a food chain as there is insufficient energy to support any highr than that. This is because only 10% of the energy in one trophic level gets passed on to the next. The other 90% has been lost as heat or used for metabolic purposes.
Botany is the study of what? Bottoms!

chetanladdha
Garter
Garter

Post by chetanladdha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:49 pm

Navin wrote:There can only be up to 5 trophic levels in a food chain as there is insufficient energy to support any highr than that. This is because only 10% of the energy in one trophic level gets passed on to the next. The other 90% has been lost as heat or used for metabolic purposes.

cool,, hey tnx for ur ans,, it was really amazing..

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Navin wrote:There can only be up to 5 trophic levels in a food chain as there is insufficient energy to support any highr than that. This is because only 10% of the energy in one trophic level gets passed on to the next. The other 90% has been lost as heat or used for metabolic purposes.

Isn't it true that there could be more in an aquatic setting? I have not learned a lot about ecology but from what I have learned I think that is what my professor said, but I'm not sure.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson