calvin's cycle

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biomed7
Garter
Garter

calvin's cycle

Post by biomed7 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:02 pm

can anyone please tell me how the autoradiography is linked to calvin's cycle? and how can it used to work out the sequence of a metabolic pathways.

i know that in autoradiography is used an x- ray film to locallise the radioisotopic compounds.

on the other hand melvin calvin won the nobel prize for using radioactive carbon-14 to show that plants turn carbon dioxide and water into sugar during photosyntheseis

book recomendations would be very much appreciated..........thanks

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:55 pm

14C is not used only with autoradiography. I am not sure about this, but I guess that he probably put 14CO2 in the atmospher the plant were breathing in for more or less time and then detected which compound were becoming radioactive as the time after exposure was increasing.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:06 pm

Yeap, that's right. Calvin and Bensen discovered what is now called the Calvin cycle by using radioactive Carbon. Then, using a machine that picked up the radiation they detected the componds that the carbon was entering.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter