paramecium excretory system and its environment

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

deathbybiology
Garter
Garter

paramecium excretory system and its environment

Post by deathbybiology » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 pm

wat are the system to its environment.
ive looked on line but all i find is nothing usefull.dead links or just crappy information i dont need.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:30 pm

Could you make your question a bit more clear? I don't understand it...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

deathbybiology
Garter
Garter

Post by deathbybiology » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:18 pm

what is the function and the function of the parts of the excretory system in the paramecium. like a detailed description or a site with it.

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:12 am

Cellular wastes may be discharged at various points along the cell membrane of the paramecium at random. However, Jahns "how to know the Protozoa," makes reference to an anal spot, of which there is no clear discription, pg. 236 Phylum Ciliophora.

Contractile vacuoles, which is now considered to be an errounous term that has been replaced by "water expelling vesicles or wev," regulates the amount of water within the cell structure. Along with excess water, some wastes are excreted or expelled here also.

As the wev fills with water from the ampules, one or sometimes two pores are formed at the surface of the wev. These can be clearly seen in large specimens but usually at magnifications of more than 500X. A good way to observe these pores would be to employ a 100X oil emersion objective utilizing a transmitted light microscope. As these pores are formed, they cytoplasm forces the excess water against the surface of the wev, thus expelling it from the cell body. If this was not accomplished the paramecium would eventually fill with to much water and burst, killing the organism. Water is taken into the cell body usually by osmosis.

I hope that this bit of information helps you out. Are you studying strictly the Family Parameciidae or protists in general? :)
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

deathbybiology
Garter
Garter

thanks.

Post by deathbybiology » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:01 pm

hey thanks for that information ok. um im studying multiple organisms. in an evolutionary chain. from protozoa to mammals. and i have to look up the excretory system for each one. i found some info on the anal pore, and about the water regulation.. but i need about 1 page worth of information. do u know any sites or of any info about the advantages of this system in this organism.
thanks again.

Ken Ramos
Viper
Viper

Post by Ken Ramos » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:24 pm

I am sorry :( I don't know of any sites that would give you any detailed information. I can only suggest maybe visiting a good library or university library and searching their zoology books. :D
Ken Ramos, Aviation Ordnanceman USN Ret.
Western North Carolina
"If you see an explosives handler running...try to keep up with him!"
Ken's Nature Study

deathbybiology
Garter
Garter

Post by deathbybiology » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:47 pm

oh ok well ill just have to search the web a little better.