Metazoa/Protozoa

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

naiburden
Garter
Garter

Metazoa/Protozoa

Post by naiburden » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 am

What is the definition of "metazoa" and "protozoa"?

iri_black
Coral
Coral

Post by iri_black » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:56 pm

The forum has a dictionary.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - H. Albright

naiburden
Garter
Garter

Post by naiburden » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:02 pm

It's not in the dictionary I checked and that's why I'm posting the question, because when you search the dictionary, it asks you to put it to the forum.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:30 pm

(Science: organism) A very diverse group comprising some 50,000 eukaryotic organisms that consist of one cell. Because most of them are motile and heterotrophic, the Protozoa were originally regarded as a phylum of the animal kingdom.

However it is now clear that they have only one common characteristic, they are not multi cellular and Protozoa are now usually classed as a Sub Kingdom of the Kingdom Protista. On this classification the Protozoa are grouped into several phyla, the main ones being the Sarcomastigophora (flagellates, heliozoans and amoeboid like protozoa), the Ciliophora (ciliates) and the Apicomplexa (sporozoan parasites such as Plasmodium).

That is from our site's dictionary. When protozoans were included in the animal kingdom, the kingdom had 2 phylums: protozoans and metazoans. Metazoans is now the same thing as animals, back then it meant pluricelullar animals.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter