left brain or right brain

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

new_guy
Coral
Coral

left brain or right brain

Post by new_guy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:01 pm

Questions (as always)

1.Does our surrounding affect which brain we use?
2.Does our brain affects the carrier that we choose?
3.Which website about brain can give me some clues?
4.Does our brain affects to how much we snooze?

Either way I'm going out of my mind,
All the answers to my question I have to find

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: left brain or right brain

Post by biostudent84 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:01 pm

new_guy wrote:1.Does our surrounding affect which brain we use?
2.Does our brain affects the carrier that we choose?
3.Which website about brain can give me some clues?
4.Does our brain affects to how much we snooze?

If you are talking about motor functions, then you must understand that the right brain controlls the left side of the body. The left side of the brain controlls the right side of the body.

Not sure what you are asking in the second question.

As for the fourth, yes. Chemicals in the brain affect how much we sleep. Sleep is essential to restore these chemicals in the brain. Also, sleep is a way of putting our brain in "standby mode." The brain uses 20% of the body's energy. Energy that requires sleep to be regeneraged.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:49 am

All people have two side of brains which operate somewhat independently of one another.
The left brain, in general, is more verbal than the right brain. It is also better trained in the educational process. For most people, the left brain is far stronger than the right brain.
The right brain is, however, necessary for creativity and originality, thus it is hard to do much writing without it.

The left and right brain not only do separate things, they can interfere with each other if you try to do incompatible things all at once. The sub-conscious mind can do many things at once, but the conscious mind can use only one side of the brain at a time. The switch-over can be very fast, but the two sides are not used at once. Since the left brain is very strong, it is important to learn to quiet it so that the right brain can function. As you learn the parts of the writing process, the ones that are marked right-brained are parts you will have to learn to protect. One of the purposes of your journal this semester is to increase your skill at protecting right-brained functions. Here are some separate responsibilities of the two sides which relate directly to writing.

The Left Brain
1. Is responsible for sequences. The left brain keeps straight the thousands (literally) of rules that govern meaningful word order in sentences. Much of our experience of life is instantaneous, and yet, when we seek to tell others about our experiences we must set them out in logical sequences. Think of a wreck, for example. It all happens in a second or two of time from your realization that you are about to be in a car crash until it is over. Nevertheless, when you tell the insurance claims adjustor what happened, you must tell him things in a sensible order which he can understand. The left brain makes that process possible.

2. Is responsible for the memory of details and our access to those details. The relationship of this ability to writing is almost self-evident. How can you write without knowing what you're talking about?

3. Is responsible for conformity. Writing as communication depends on some arbitrary rules which we all "agree" to follow in order to be understood. I am talking about things like how we form verb tenses, where commas and periods and capitals go, how quotations are used, and so forth. The "rules" of writing are the concern of the left brain.

The parts of the writing process which make most use of the left brain are: revising and editing, especially editing.

The Right Brain
1. Is responsible for perceiving and creating wholes and patterns. In our thought processes, seeing relationships is what we mean by "making sense" or "seeing meaning" in experience. The right brain is necessary in the writing process because it takes the randomness out of random experience. It makes organization possible.

2. Is responsible for originality. We all have the same world to live in, but the differences in our experiences make for different contents in out minds. What makes your communications different from those of other people is that you put together universal experience in a unique way. The right brain does that for you.

3. Is responsible for your creativity because creativity is an expression of your unique approach to the world.

There is no real reason to write anything except, perhaps, examinations if you do not express originality and creativity. In the dullest writing in the world -- say, engineering field reports -- the reason you must write is that you have important and unique knowledge of the subject, and other people need to know what you know. You do not need to be cute or odd to be original and creative. You must, however, think for yourself, and that is the contribution of the right brain.